Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovepugs)
    Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong
    forget it now.. just focus on depth nothing you can do, don't rag your brains out over one mark when you have the potential to get 70 on 07/06/16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelthesuperdude)
    what are the required practicals we need to know
    Bullet point answers please.
    Spirometer, Potometer (already asked on multiple choice), Enzyme experiment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SURH)
    forget it now.. just focus on depth nothing you can do, don't rag your brains out over one mark when you have the potential to get 70 on 07/06/16.
    Thankyou! I think I did get the answer right but I'm just over thinking everything

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember what topics came up on breadth and make any predictions on depth

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what percentage you need to get a C this year is ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiddo19)
    Does anyone know what percentage you need to get a C this year is ?
    Probably no more than 60% probably a bit less or a bit more at most

Just a guide as it depends on UMS scaling

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong
    Think it asked for Kingdom, can't remember

Only one mark though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Probably no more than 60% probably a bit less or a bit more at most

Just a guide as it depends on UMS scaling
    I thought a C in biology is around 55%?

ReputationRep:
    Just realised that at no point in the specification does it say that we need to know the blood clotting cascade :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    What's the chance of the topics coming back again for depth paper that was already in breadth paper??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plower)
    What's the chance of the topics coming back again for depth paper that was already in breadth paper??
    Its completely random, if they came up in Breadth, there's still a good chance of them coming up in Depth

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain phagocytosis to me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brodingoson)
    Its completely random, if they came up in Breadth, there's still a good chance of them coming up in Depth
    Damn it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlab2308)
    can someone explain phagocytosis to me please
    The phagocyte detects antigens on the pathogen. It engulfs it forming a phagosome in cytoplasm of phagocyte. Lysosomes containing hydrolytic enzymes fuses with the phagosome and breaks down pathogen. The phagocyte then presents the antigens on its surface for other immune cells to be activated - this acts as an antigen- presenting cell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plower)
    The phagocyte detects antigens on the pathogen. It engulfs it forming a phagosome in cytoplasm of phagocyte. Lysosomes containing hydrolytic enzymes fuses with the phagosome and breaks down pathogen. The phagocyte then presents the antigens on its surface for other immune cells to be activated - this acts as an antigen- presenting cell

whats the bit after that with the T and B lymphocytes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlab2308)
    whats the bit after that with the T and B lymphocytes?
    Oh ya , I hate that part. . Basically the phagocyte activates T-cells (called cell mediated response) this cell is covered with receptors on the surface do that it is able to bind with antigens presented by the antigen-presenting cells (APC). Each t-cell has different receptors so that its complementary to the antigen. It then activates the t-cell, called clonal selection and starts the clonal expansion (mitosis), this divides and produces clones which are different types with different functions such as: T killer cell- kills pathogen by attaching to antigen, T helper cell - release substance to activate B-cell, T regulatory cells- suppress immune response from other white blood cells to stop attacking own body cell and lastly T memory cells - to remember the antigen second time round.

This leads to activating B cell (humoral response). It's covered with antibodies and again only attaches to complementary antigens to form antigen-antibody complex so each b-cell is specific. Binding to antigens and substance released by T helper cells activates B cell. This goes through clonal expansion again and makes plasma cells - produces right antibodies for pathogen and also makes memory cells - to produce antibodies quicker in next infection.

ReputationRep:
    Animalia dude it was a Rhino ?? that's if you are talking about the breadth paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelthesuperdude)
    what are the required practicals we need to know
    Bullet point answers please.
    It's in the spec on the ocr website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longking)
    Animalia dude it was a Rhino ?? that's if you are talking about the breadth paper
    It's part of the Eukarya Domain that's what the person was worried about.. If it asked for Kingdom or domain

But yeah I agree I think it asked for Kingdom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    It's part of the Eukarya Domain that's what the person was worried about.. If it asked for Kingdom or domain

But yeah I agree I think it asked for Kingdom
    oh right okay... I thought the person was asking about the kingdom, and btw how are you guys revising tb the lack of past papers is making it impossible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.