The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Ahhhh I haven't been looking at the experiemental side and just doing content.

yeah but tbh, the content questions will give you more marks than the experimental side
let's just hope it isnt practical and maths heavy..
Original post by candyyfloss
yeah but tbh, the content questions will give you more marks than the experimental side
let's just hope it isnt practical and maths heavy..

I haven't touched the cardiac/haemoglobin side. But everything else is a bit of here and there I've done. I think 10% of the paper is minimum maths. So there would be some calculations :frown:
Original post by bp_22
Go through the spec and see what you dont know i guess

i kind of know the topics vaguely, its exchange in plants, biodiversity and classification that i seem to struggle with the most
especially because our school didnt give us a end of topic test on them as we were so pressed for time
I haven't touched the cardiac/haemoglobin side. But everything else is a bit of here and there I've done. I think 10% of the paper is minimum maths. So there would be some calculations :frown:

but hopefully it would be something like standard deviation or simpsons index of diversity as we get give the formulas, we just need to plug in the values

its when they ask you about rate of trasnpiration or rate of antibody production when it gets a bit tough for someone who doesnt understand maths (even though i do a level chemisty!)
Reply 1144
Could someone please explain Spearman's rank?
Original post by bp_22

ahh the correlation coefficient
i dont think its as difficult as everyone makes it out to be
you just have to rank the values in the table (highest to lowest or whatever) and then plug in the values for the equation
i think then you have to compare your value with the critical value and see if the value is of significance or not

if that makes any sense
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bp_22

It's a but hard to type it out and explain. But my revision guide explains really well. I can take a pic and email it to you? But the purpose of spearman's rank is to see how much the values vary.
but hopefully it would be something like standard deviation or simpsons index of diversity as we get give the formulas, we just need to plug in the values

its when they ask you about rate of trasnpiration or rate of antibody production when it gets a bit tough for someone who doesnt understand maths (even though i do a level chemisty!)

Even with the equation lol I messed up in the breadth paper for that calculation question :lol:
Even with the equation lol I messed up in the breadth paper for that calculation question :lol:

which one, the markscheme was wrong one of the equations in the locked specimen paper

(i gained an extra mark ahahah)
which one, the markscheme was wrong one of the equations in the locked specimen paper

(i gained an extra mark ahahah)

I acc cant remember but I remember trying the equation abt 100 times in the exam.
Reply 1150
oh yeah that makes sense thanks, just need to become more familiar with that second part
ahh the correlation coefficient
i dont think its as difficult as everyone makes it out to be
you just have to rank the values in the table (highest to lowest or whatever) and then plug in the values for the equation
i think then you have to compare your value with the critical value and see if the value is of significance or not

if that makes any sense
Reply 1151
I think i kinda understand it now but thanks
It's a but hard to type it out and explain. But my revision guide explains really well. I can take a pic and email it to you? But the purpose of spearman's rank is to see how much the values vary.
Original post by bp_22
I think i kinda understand it now but thanks

Just do a couple of practise questions to see if you get the hang of it :smile:

Btw with tRNA where does the amino acid that it brings come from?
Reply 1153
tRNA just already has an amino acid attached to it, i dont think we need to knwo why or how theres an amino acid attached to it
Just do a couple of practise questions to see if you get the hang of it :smile:

Btw with tRNA where does the amino acid that it brings come from?
A quick brief comparison of the microscopes anyone? Magnification, resolution, adv, disadvantages etc.
Do you think that the cardiac graph is gonna come up on the exam tmrw?
Original post by bp_22
tRNA just already has an amino acid attached to it, i dont think we need to knwo why or how theres an amino acid attached to it

Ah ok. Well good luck with the exams tmrw :'))
Reply 1157
You too, hopefully it goes well :frown:
Ah ok. Well good luck with the exams tmrw :':wink:)
What would happen if I drink red bull before tomorrows exam?
Reply 1159
perhaps tachycardia
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
What would happen if I drink red bull before tomorrows exam?

Quick Reply