Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    What did you guys mention for the 2 6 markers?
    For the enzymes I just said about the change in rate of reaction as temperature changes.
    For the second one I mentioned that mixed blood has lower concentration gradients and stuff like that,
    Did the same mate for both Q's but I added that the ventricle was thicker in the mammal heart than the amphibian. in the second 6 marker

(Original post by IRoranth)
    For the first question, I put B- because it had "immediately after" in bold, so i thought, hm, maybe this means inspiration, after all, chronologically, one does expire then immediately inspire???? ugh i f'd up man. stupid question. argh.
    You're not alone.. I did put A in the beginning but somehow after I saw them writing it in bold, I immediately changed my answer.. I shouldn't have done that. Why did they even write it in bold? 2 marks gone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    That wasn't unclear, they said IMMEDIATELY AFTER, you don't inhale IMMEDIATELY AFTER, so IMMEDIATELY AFTER its when they're empty
    It is unclear considering how many more people thought the same.

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the frog circulatory one?

For the muscle contraction I said it contracts and condraticts the airway and alveoli.. Something like that. Will I get 1 or 2 marks?

Passive process- It does not require energy and makes its own kinetic energy

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries last year for an A was 63%. As we are doing a new specfication and there is limited material to revise from e.g. past papers, my biology teacher said to expect it to be around 63%. The highest grade boundary for an A that I know of was 70% and therefore the exam grade boundary definitely will not be above this

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone feel they did? I feel like I've done really bad

For cell division I got in this order;
    Mitosis, Meiosis, Meiosis, Meiosis, Mitosis

(Original post by rachelemi)
    Grade boundaries last year for an A was 63%. As we are doing a new specfication and there is limited material to revise from e.g. past papers, my biology teacher said to expect it to be around 63%. The highest grade boundary for an A that I know of was 70% and therefore the exam grade boundary definitely will not be above this
    I hope its right, but 63% is so low for an A? I wouldn't complain but it doesn't sound logical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kianwoodhead11)
    How did everyone feel they did? I feel like I've done really bad
    badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    I hope its right, but 63% is so low for an A? I wouldn't complain but it doesn't sound logical.
    It was definitely 63% last year, I very much doubt it would go any lower than this but it definitely will not be above 70%

ReputationRep:
    For the T-test, I put 7 as the degrees of freedom because I thought that since there are two groups of data it would be an unpaired t-test so the d.o.f would be (n1-n2)-1 therefore (4+4)-1=7. Is this right?

It is quite shocking to see a statistics question with no relevance to standard deviation, t-test or Simpson's Index... However, I managed to get it at the end thanks to the incomplete table. I got something like 13.8... something I can't really remember the answer but 1 mark below that surely should be 3?

For the enzyme 6 marker, did you make reference to the induced fit and lock snd key hypothesis as you was talking about it? I said lock and key happens when the substrate binds to the active site at a faster rate when the kinetic energy is increased and molecules are moving quickly as a result to form enzyme-substrate complex and the substrate may form the product enzyme-product complex. For the denaturing process I talked about the induced fit where active site changes shape and moulds around the complementary substrate which affects the tertiary structure of a protein and becomes denatured.

That amphibian 6 marker was weird. I said mammals have a double circulatory system where bloodflows through the heart twice for each complete circuit around the body. An advantage of this system is that the blood pressure can be increased and the heart rate can increase in systemic circulation which allows waste products of carbon dioxide to be removed faster and has a high demand for oxygen. For the amphibian I said that the system is not compliciated and it is a single circulatory system where that part is definitely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    GUYS PLEASE READ ME BECAUSE EVERYBODY KEEPS ASKING ABOUT THIS
    Question 1 said JUSTIFY you're answer, so you could intemperate the "Immediately after" in any of the two ways.. As Long as you sensibly justified why you chose (a) or (b) you will get the two marks, they were a very easy give

(Original post by rachelemi)
    It was definitely 63% last year, I very much doubt it would go any lower than this but it definitely will not be above 70%
    I agree. Also, this is a new spec and there aren't year 13's that can boost the grade boundaries and past exams were in units but for our exams we had to know everything for both tests. Stuff like immunity, sampling biodiversity and why we need to maintain it, transpiration, cardic cycle and initiation of the heart, biological molecules, plant defences etc did not come up. Breadth was fine but Depth was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sen99)
    For the T-test, I put 7 as the degrees of freedom because I thought that since there are two groups of data it would be an unpaired t-test so the d.o.f would be (n1-n2)-1 therefore (4+4)-1=7. Is this right?
    I did that aswell but apparently it was 3.... oh well we would have got marks from filling in the table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    I agree. Also, this is a new spec and there aren't year 13's that can boost the grade boundaries and past exams were in units but for our exams we had to know everything for both tests. Stuff like immunity, sampling biodiversity and why we need to maintain it, transpiration, cardic cycle and initiation of the heart, biological molecules, plant defences etc did not come up. Breadth was fine but Depth was ridiculous.
    This depth paper was weird. How do you think the Chem depth paper would be? Tbh I don't know how to revise for that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelnerd123)
    78/12 x 100 = 650%

no idea if it's right lol
    I got like 3200% tf

ReputationRep:
    Also please answer guys, and please don't take the piss because I find biology so hard, I'll be dropping it and keep maths physics and art but I just cant stand it so.. I think on the first paper I may have gotten around 30 marks give or take 2, and about 40 give or take two on this one? Is that worthy of just any grade asides a U do you think?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KappaRoss)
    I called it. the 6 marker was on the heart and lots about enzymes too.
    What are your predictions for chemistry?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.