Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    for the 6 marker on enzymes and temperature. I wrote about the lock and key model and induced fit model. and talked about complementary.,.. . induced fit is the modern model which suggests that the enzyme changes shape slightly..
    and I put rate of reaction increase as temperature increases as the enzyme and substrate have more kinetic energy, resulting in more frequent collisions and more successful collisions. But at temperatures much higher the optimum, the hydrogen bonds and ionic bonds vibrate and break. this changes the shape of the active site and the substrate no longer fits in to the active site. the enzyme denatures. the tertiary structure is altered. lipase cant break down lipids into fatty acids and glycerol.

ReputationRep:
    lots of easy content questions, but quite a bit of sheggy application questions. i think i did alright, could have been worse though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obiageli1993)
    how are you able to predict them, how accurate is this?
    This is based on previous years' UMS percentage on more difficult F212 paper out of 100. This is also consistently close enough with the F211 paper.

I had to compensate with the lack of coursework and other factors that I outlined on my post and made approximations.

This is also inline with student feedback and Ofqual + OCR information given which states that grade boundaries should be similar to last years if both students found it similarly hard.

(Original post by Desouza123)
    We don't have to know the Chi-Squared test. It's not on the spec.
    It is on the spec. And it was on the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Internets)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171693-...ogy-a-h020.pdf <= Is this the right spec?
    On page 48 is says 'Learners may be tested on theirability to select and use:• the chi squared test to test(χ2) the significance of thedifference between observedand expected results• the Student’s t-test• the Spearman’s rankcorrelation coefficient'

I'm a bit confused because we haven't even touched this formula for the whole year, so maybe it isn't required anymore.
    IT CAME UP ANYWAY! And I loved the question so yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adeninesbff)
    IT CAME UP ANYWAY! And I loved the question so yay
    Agreed. We were worried that we would get a big question with loads of data and not be told which test we had to do, so it was a relief to see OCR essentially showing us how to do it with the example rows.

ReputationRep:
    markscheme?

ReputationRep:
    Guys i know its petty but im strressing out over this 1 marker but if i out speciation for the answer where it said how do they become resistant is that still valid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creative_lad28)
    Guys i know its petty but im strressing out over this 1 marker but if i out speciation for the answer where it said how do they become resistant is that still valid
    I don't think that will be accepted. But chill its only 1 mark :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone also doing the chemistry? Please add to the predictions thread I made http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4149293

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsDanderson)
    It is on the spec. And it was on the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah well it was only in the maths section and not in the actual content part. That part of the spec only stated simpsons diversity index, SD, T test and Spearmans rank......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarlius)
    Also please answer guys, and please don't take the piss because I find biology so hard, I'll be dropping it and keep maths physics and art but I just cant stand it so.. I think on the first paper I may have gotten around 30 marks give or take 2, and about 40 give or take two on this one? Is that worthy of just any grade asides a U do you think?

Many thanks
    When they last introduced a new spec (2008/2009), it was 66% for an A in the F212 paper (meant to be harder). Im sure your looking at a D. Good luck mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI)
    I got like 3200% tf
    DIdn't the question say to compare 1993 percentage of deaths caused by MRSA with the peak deaths caused by MRSA which was i think in 2006 or 2007. so then didn't you have to work out the percentage of deaths in 1993 caused by MRSA which was 12% and then in the peak year which was 78% and then take away 78% from 12% to work out the difference in percentage?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,,,
    What did you choose for the first question the two diagram about expiation... I have chose b, but I wrote capital B. Do think I will get mark.

Thanks

(Original post by mariahk98)
    DIdn't the question say to compare 1993 percentage of deaths caused by MRSA with the peak deaths caused by MRSA which was i think in 2006 or 2007. so then didn't you have to work out the percentage of deaths in 1993 caused by MRSA which was 12% and then in the peak year which was 78% and then take away 78% from 12% to work out the difference in percentage?
    I think it said percentage increase of number of death certificates recorded as MRSA... So literally how many times 51 increases to 3000-ish number as a percentage

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oi boyz did u hv to mention lock n key on that enzyme ting blud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrustratedHorse)
    Bro,I know exactly where you're coming from and I did the same thing in the exam using the exact same justification. Afterwards however, my friend kicked some sense into me- there were 4 categories/data sets (Prophase, anaphase, metaphase and telophase) unlike the 2 data sets used in the example in the text book. So in this situation, I think it should be something like (N1-1)+(N2-1)+(N3-1)+(N4-1). This is the same as 4(2-1) which is equal to 4. So tbh, as far as I understand, there were only 4 degrees of freedom in the exam so I got that question wrong.

Either way,I talked with my teacher and she said that so long as I compare my value at 0.05 significance level, I should end up with at least 1 mark. Well, hopefully it works that way .Imo, this exam was pretty difficult and considering not every school is taking these AS breadth and depth exams (because they intend to just do the real A2's), I don't mind so long as I get a B (or above) overall so that I can have strong ground to beg my biology teacher to predict me an A for A2.Dw guys, it's time to make like a student and pray for low grade boundaries :crossedf::crossedf:
    Oh gosh, I was banking on that question for marks. Dang it 😭, at least I know I got at least 1 mark...

Haha, true, I really hope the comments that breadth was "easy" is proven to be false because that will just push up the grade boundaries overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    Didn't you also have to say that you can only breathe through your mouth and not nose
    i dont think so.. i know that its part of the instructions to use the spirometer but the question asked for the instructions for getting the vital capacity. however it could be part of the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Does any one have a unofficial markscheme for both the papers??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    do u want a medal bro
    Name:  12647292_921038664677593_6193793641762164249_n.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  1.8 KByes please

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.