Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    *Checks privilege*

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yup, still there :yeah:

Tell me how 'white privilege' has detrimentally affected you, dear :curious:
    It hasn't at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It hasn't at all
    Thank you, and who is much more privileged than your average white person?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, and who is much more privileged than your average white person?
    A rich white person?

ReputationRep:
    A rich white person?
    Specifically..

ReputationRep:
    Specifically..
    Those in politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failingstudent98)
    Okay so does it exist in the U.K. Because I'm a firm believer it doesn't and I've never met someone who believes it does and yet all these American videos are getting so angry about it. Also, racism in general seems to be a much bigger problem in America but does anyone wonder if this is caused by the ethnic minorities segregating themselves. After watching videos posted by very well known channels on YouTube I realised that ethnic minorities are seriously racist towards white people online (and yet expect no sort of racism in return)and looking at the comments that's completely okay. Plus they create this us vs them mentality? Is anyone else seeing this. Please have a look at some of these, I'm curious in opinions because I feel like I'm the only person who is seeing this?!
    (And for the record yes I'm a white girl, born and raised in the uk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nazi Shill. Outrage!

ReputationRep:
    Those in politics?
    You fam!

ReputationRep:
    You fam!
    Aye,no denying my white privilege has gotten me to where I am today in life,maybe? I don't know. same with my parents,especially my father's side of the family. There are also other determining factors to success,ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    Aye,no denying my white privilege has gotten me to where I am today in life,same with my parents,especially my father's side of the family
    Don't be ridiculous. Your privilege has nowt to do with colour (and you're mixed heritage) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous. Your privilege has nowt to do with colour (and you're mixed heritage) :rolleyes:
    maybe or maybe not but there been a lot of research done on this topic by those studying it. Wealth replaces it at times I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Stfu and check your privilege you white, cisgendered, heterosexual scumbag.
    bad day ?

ReputationRep:
    Come on,it kinda does. Wealth replaces it at times I guess
    Being white gets you nowhere, it's the wealth that gets you connections and therefore further in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a black and white person go up for a job the one that performs better in the interview and has more qualifications gets the job, it is nothing to do with ethnicity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you think. What about those applying to roles online with blatant ethnic names. Someone with an excellent resume may be rejected solely because recruitment clocked their name isn't the usual "Sarah Smith". But they will never say they rejected you because of it. Instead they'd sweeten it up and say they have over recruited or something.

ReputationRep:
    Being white gets you nowhere, it's the wealth that gets you connections and therefore further in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very privileged thing to say lmao.

You might walk into a shop and a black man might walk into a shop but guess who is more likely to be racially profiled.

Not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise213)
    Very privileged thing to say lmao.

You might walk into a shop and a black man might walk into a shop but guess who is more likely to be racially profiled.

Not you.
    Say was Eastern European (but still white) then yes more likely me. Say I was in a grey tracksuit then more likely me. It's not to do with being black or not it's other factors like how they dress (you don't see a black guy in a suit and see shoplifter but you do see a teenager in a tracksuit of any ethnicity and keep an eye out)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise213)
    So you think. What about those applying to roles online with blatant ethnic names. Someone with an excellent resume may be rejected solely because recruitment clocked their name isn't the usual "Sarah Smith". But they will never say they rejected you because of it. Instead they'd sweeten it up and say they have over recruited or something.
    Unless it's implied the person has poor English or little British cultural understanding they won't be turned away because of a name. Especially now the majority of names (even for white people) are not the usual 'Sarah smith'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's implied the person has poor English or little British cultural understanding they won't be turned away because of a name. Especially now the majority of names (even for white people) are not the usual 'Sarah smith'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People with ethnic names would not even get the chance for an interview is what I'm saying

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh and also whatever it is, it would probably be easy to differentiate between that or Shazira Gupita, or Kwabena Kwasi. These are blatant ethnic names.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so does it exist in the U.K. Because I'm a firm believer it doesn't and I've never met someone who believes it does and yet all these American videos are getting so angry about it. Also, racism in general seems to be a much bigger problem in America but does anyone wonder if this is caused by the ethnic minorities segregating themselves. After watching videos posted by very well known channels on YouTube I realised that ethnic minorities are seriously racist towards white people online (and yet expect no sort of racism in return)and looking at the comments that's completely okay. Plus they create this us vs them mentality? Is anyone else seeing this. Please have a look at some of these, I'm curious in opinions because I feel like I'm the only person who is seeing this?!
    (And for the record yes I'm a white girl, born and raised in the uk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Understand 1 thing, and this is the one fact everyone needs to acknowledge.

These ideas, such as feminism, use peoples fears, as well as the human trait of wanting to be morally correct. The people who agree with these things are in minority (since most people ignore it after they've logically thought it through once), but minorities are always the loudest. It's the same with social medias and Youtube. Every feminist retweets every extremist feminist tweet. So when you see a completely illogical idea, with thousands of retweets, remember that means only thousands agree, and millions disagree.

People will always try to find an excuse for their failures, and blaming it on "social opinions" on classes/ genders etc is the easiest because you cannot disprove it with ease. The only thing I'd suggest is to argue any extremist view you see, so we can "educate" (as these extremists like to patronisingly say as if the whole world is stupid except them) others. Don't get annoyed as someone for having a belief, because let's be honest 90% of big media companies give up after a couple complaints, forgetting that millions didn't complain whilst reading their articles. Being white gets you nothing these days in the UK, and people that tell you otherwise just haven't done the research.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, it kinda does. Wealth replaces it at times I guess
    Not really honey. Not sure you should be getting preachy about 'white privilege' when you're far more privileged than the vast majority of white folk (and mostly white yourself). The main group in society that is significantly detrimentally affected by white privilege is black people (males in particular, in the labour market). Other groups are, in terms e.g. of income, more endowed than whites e.g. Chinese/Indian males | Source

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.