Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody. I'm an American and I've gotten accepted to KCL, Edinburgh, and St Andrews for a BA in History (still waiting for UCL). I'm still deciding between them, but I'm leaning pretty strongly towards KCL. Here in the USA it seems to have a better reputation than the other two, and also in the international QS Rankings, but it also seems to do much worse than both in the UK Guardian domestic rankings (19th in the world in QS, but 36th in the UK in the Guardian). Because of this, I'm trying to figure out what the reputation of King's is in the UK. Is it any better or worse than the other two? Also, which one has a better reputation for the humanities, history in particular? I've had a chance to visit each of these schools very briefly, but not enough to get much more than a basic impression. If any of you were facing this choice, which university would you pick and why?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an American who got accepted to both KCL and St. Andrews for BA International Relations. It's not exactly History, but there is some overlap between the two majors, so I looked at History while I was choosing my unis. I accepted my offer to KCL over St. Andrews because King's seems to be better known for its stellar History (and War Studies) Department than St. Andrews is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monarching)
    Hi everybody. I'm an American and I've gotten accepted to KCL, Edinburgh, and St Andrews for a BA in History (still waiting for UCL). I'm still deciding between them, but I'm leaning pretty strongly towards KCL. Here in the USA it seems to have a better reputation than the other two, and also in the international QS Rankings, but it also seems to do much worse than both in the UK Guardian domestic rankings (19th in the world in QS, but 36th in the UK in the Guardian). Because of this, I'm trying to figure out what the reputation of King's is in the UK. Is it any better or worse than the other two? Also, which one has a better reputation for the humanities, history in particular? I've had a chance to visit each of these schools very briefly, but not enough to get much more than a basic impression. If any of you were facing this choice, which university would you pick and why?
    I would say reputation wise in the UK: St Andrews > Edinburgh (only slightly, could be interchangeable depending on subject) >>> KCL. Not that impressed with KCL and its low entry standards. However, they are all still good universities and the difference between them and the other top 10 unis isn't that big (minus Oxbridge).

But don't just consider reputation. KCL is in England, so it's only a 3 year course and you can't take modules in other courses but with the Scottish universities you can, but they're 4 year courses. Also consider where you want to live, a small student-dominated town or a big city?

(Original post by warriorette12)
    Hi, I'm an American who got accepted to both KCL and St. Andrews for BA International Relations. It's not exactly History, but there is some overlap between the two majors, so I looked at History while I was choosing my unis. I accepted my offer to KCL over St. Andrews because King's seems to be better known for its stellar History (and War Studies) Department than St. Andrews is.
    KCL has a well known War Studies department (for postgrads).. but it's not got a strong reputation for history at all. Its reputation mainly lies within the BioSciences. St Andrews on the other hand, has a well known IR department.

ReputationRep:
    KCL/Edinburgh>St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warriorette12)
    St Andrews is renowned for International Relations, across the world, and has some first class academics in the field teaching there. History-wise, St Andrews is much in the same, and has some very good academics, especially in the Medieval department.

Imo, however biased it may be. St Andrews>Edinburgh>Kings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monarching)
    The Guardian's so-called league tables are notoriously flaky. For a couple of years they had Brunel as fourth or fifth in the country for History, which was utterly ridiculous. Their current History guide places Edinburgh 43rd which makes me shake my head in bewilderment.

King's has an excellent reputation for History, despite what other posters have said, as do your other choices. (Btw War Studies is not just a postgraduate course.)

I would consider these factors:

1. Course content. Look through each course description in detail and choose what you would study in every term or semester. Is one uni restrictive? Does one seem to have more attractive options?

2. Where do you want to live? London is very big and will be more expensive. St Andrews otoh is very small.

3. Course length. Many Scottish degrees are four years rather than the usual three, though I don't know if this applies to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.