Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think you have to be clinically depressed to be suicidal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just curious. I can think of scenarios where the decision to commit suicide is arrived at through cold logic (a sort of life benefits-costs analysis), or where it is a consequence of other mental states (e.g. lack of resilience =/= depression). I don't know how common such cases are though. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Just curious. I can think of scenarios where the decision to commit suicide is arrived at through cold logic (a sort of life benefits-costs analysis), or where it is a consequence of other mental states (e.g. lack of resilience =/= depression). I don't know how common such cases are though. What do you think?
    No I don't think so unless it was in some sort of self sacrifice to save others type of scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    No I don't think so unless it was in some sort of self sacrifice to save others type of scenario.
    Sorry I'm not sure I understand - you don't think you have to be clinically depressed to be suicidal or you do think so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Sorry I'm not sure I understand - you don't think you have to be clinically depressed to be suicidal or you do think so?
    I was saying no I don't think so based on derived from cold logic argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    I was saying no I don't think so based on derived from cold logic argument.
    Oh right, got it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's definitely possible. There are so many possible reasons for wanting to kill yourself, I'm not saying that its okay to in some cases, just that depression is not the only cause for suicidal ideation.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily - for example if you have a terminal or degenerative illness then I can understand why you might want to commit suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Schizophrenia is another reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Not necessarily - for example if you have a terminal or degenerative illness then I can understand why you might want to commit suicide.
    Yes, this is even covered by Dignitas (assisted suicide clinic):

(Original post by Dignitas)
    Anyone suffering from an illness which will lead inevitably to death, or anyone with an unendurable disability, who wants voluntarily to put an end to their life and suffering can, as a member of DIGNITAS, request the association to help them with accompanied suicide.
    I was wondering why they have these conditions of illness or disability; I find it actually rather discriminatory. What about other people who want to kill themselves? I mean, you might say that life is an illness which will lead inevitably to death. Probably they must impose these conditions for legal reasons though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No

ReputationRep:
    No you don't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.