Watch
__Bethany__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is part of the specification:

what does this mean??
  1. describe how plasmids and viruses can act as vectors, which take up piecesof DNA, then insert this recombinant DNA into other cells
gregan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look here? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3933981
Andrew002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im studying this at the moment! Im sure I wont be able to give you the best answer but here it goes!

A vector takes pieces of DNA and inserts them into other cells using restriction enzymes (To remove the gene from the DNA) and other enzymes to 'glue' their own DNA back in. In a viruses case it would be a gene which would cause a cell to mass produce more viruses. an example of this in genetic modification is the modification of a bacterium plasmid (Basically just a floating nucleus in a bacteria) and the insertion of a human insulin gene. So the bacteria produces insulin which can be used to treat diabetes.

So to summarize a virus can act as a vector which can go to a 'victim cell' use restriction enzymes to extract a DNA at a specific area and a ligase enzyme to join up the DNA with its own variation.Tricky topic, took me a while to understand it hope this helps! As I said I am also a IGCSE student so probably not the best answer out there feel free to respond if I haven't made it clear
Lily Maltby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This really helped thank you! Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
15.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
18.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (29)
43.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
18.18%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed