Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm looking for work experience in either computer science field so IT related or in engineering. I have contacted some companies in my area by email and sent my CV out for work shadowing or work experience for a week. I don't mind travelling out side my city for example to London Birmingham or Nottingham to get some decent experience. Any tips ?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by looktoyourright)
    Hey I'm looking for work experience in either computer science field so IT related or in engineering. I have contacted some companies in my area by email and sent my CV out for work shadowing or work experience for a week. I don't mind travelling out side my city for example to London Birmingham or Nottingham to get some decent experience. Any tips ?
    Approach it professionally, as you would making a job application. Realise this is pretty much an altruistic move by a company, because you will almost certainly add nothing to their bottom line, and you will reduce the effectiveness of their paid employees, while they host you. So with that in mind, you have to show that you are worth investing their time in, ie you are a credible prospect for a career in their industry.

So whatever your stage of education, you need to show that you are going in the right direction to have the educational qualifications.

Then you have to show that you are developing the right skills, the soft skills like teamwork, presentation skills, project management, following rules - whatever is important to that sector, and the hard skills, eg coding, network management website design or whatever.

If you are too young to have direct experience, then you need to show you are really making an effort through your interests, so show you are spending your time engaged with CS/IT, don't just bang on about football etc.

Especially if you aren't applying for a formal scheme, the covering letter is much more important for work experience, because it must convince the reader you are worth investing their organisation's time in. You need to explain why you want to do this sort of work for your career, why getting experience with this company would be particularly useful to you (everyone likes to feel special) and finally, give a bit more detail of your 3 top skills you have evidence for that would be useful in this career. Thank them for their time, and cross your fingers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looktoyourright)
    Firstly, if you're emailing, make sure you're emailing the right person. If you can find an email address for HR, or the person you specifically want to shadow, this helps avoid it getting lost in the system.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 16, and in some cases under 18, a lot of employers may not be able to have you onsite for insurance or safeguarding reasons. Equally, babysitting someone on work experience is time consuming, and not all companies want to deal with this. Expect to be ignored or knocked back a lot. Ringing up may be better than emailing in some cases, as you may be able to find out on the phone if the company would be able to offer you work experience.

Is there a reason you're only able to go for a week? If there isn't, then maybe offer to extend it- if you are at a company for 2-3 weeks, there's more chance you may actually learn enough to be useful to the company, and so they may be more willing to have you come in.

If you're going to be traveling a long way, explain in your email how you plan to do this.

Ultimately, taking on someone for work experience is often a lot of hassle for an employer, so you will be ignored or rejected a lot, but it's worth persevering, because some companies will be willing to have you, and it can be really valuable experience.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.