Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    The OP has not trolled...the OP has not addressed anyone in particular, apart from the housemaid, who wouldn't even have seen it anyway. Do you really think it is important to protect such a person from online "abuse".. Otherwise if people can't handle their choice of religion being criticized, they're too immature for the internet. :rolleyes:
    He's insulted a religion, no matter if you agree with it or not it's still sacred. I'm glad even though in today's society more and more people are non-relgious/athists that abuse of a religion is still frowned upon and long may it continue. Attack the act not the religion. If you can't then using your own words you're too immature for the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    He's insulted a religion, no matter if you agree with it or not it's still sacred. I'm glad even though in today's society more and more people are non-relgious/athists that abuse of a religion is still frowned upon and long may it continue. Attack the act not the religion. If you can't then using your own words you're too immature for the internet.
    Why is it sacred? It is an ideology. There are only two justifications I can think of to respect someone's belief in God (or gods, or Allah, or whatever) more than a belief in, say, unicorns. Firstly, people are brought up to believe in God, so they have little choice, and, secondly, far more people believe in God. Well, being brought up in a certain ideology does not make it correct or immune from criticism, however dearly you may hold it, and majority rule is irrelevant on matters of truth (once the majority believed the Earth was flat..) The fact that people's feelings get hurt when their religion is criticised means nothing. Offence is taken, not given,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    That's a nice twist to put on repression of free speech.

If religion was never questioned, mocked or criticised in Europe we would still have a primitive understanding of the world.

The gulf states are a nice example of what happens when you take a "silence is golden" approaching to questioning religion.
    Food for thought love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    It isn't sacred just because loads of people think it is lmao...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Why is it sacred? It is an ideology. There are only two justifications I can think of to respect someone's belief in God (or gods, or Allah, or whatever) more than a belief in, say, unicorns. Firstly, people are brought up to believe in God, so they have little choice, and, secondly, far more people believe in God. Well, being brought up in a certain ideology does not make it correct or immune from criticism, however dearly you may hold it, and majority rule is irrelevant on matters of truth (once the majority believed the Earth was flat..) The fact that people's feelings get hurt when their religion is criticised means nothing. Offence is taken, not given,
    There's a difference, they proved the earth is round they didn't mock them but PROVED it. Just like an unbeliever can't prove God is non existent [ and a believer can't prove of his existence] these things are considered to be sacred, and so shall it. If you want to abuse a religion and think nothing of it then that is your choice but again, this University has upheld it's position by dealing with OP as necessary this is proof of their intolerance of attacks on a religion with millions of adherents.

It all begins with an attack on religion then escalates. Agree to disagree.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    No one deserves to get their studies terminated for criticizing a religious ideology. If the same policy applied to people criticizing political parties, the university staff would be hung, drawn and quartered by the students. PC culture and professional victims create problems for the sake of it so they can cry 'I'm offended'.

'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others' - John Stuart Mill
    It depends. If he was inciting religious hatred, then yes he deserves to get sanctioned. It comes across as though it was a little more than criticising a religion, but potentially crossed the line. he could have joined another uni that allowed incitement againts other religious groups, but he didnt.

Free speech only goes so far.

ReputationRep:
    Contact student services for advice, in the first instance. Also, tell us exactly what you wrote and exactly what your university policy says
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    universities are policing what people post on social media? wow we are really turning into a nanny state.
    Not "policing" exactly, but yes, they take it seriously. Particularly if the person is studying a degree which is preparing them to act in a position of care or trust, such as medicine/pharmacy/nursing/etc. Posting inappropriate comments on social media, whether it's discriminatory language, hate speech or bullying other people calls in their fitness to practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Not "policing" exactly, but yes, they take it seriously. Particularly if the person is studying a degree which is preparing them to act in a position of care or trust, such as medicine/pharmacy/nursing/etc. Posting inappropriate comments on social media, whether it's discriminatory language, hate speech or bullying other people calls in their fitness to practice.
    That's utterly ridiculous.

If someone has a job in finance which requires them to be extremely trustworthy and show a level of integrity which is well beyond the norm for a standard job and they had cheated on their wife, would that call their suitability into question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medistud2016)
    No, its on my notebook. However, i put my university name on my social media profile information.
    In the course description, its written that any student completing the course with 120 point can gain PGDip. And if 180 then MSc. Ive got already 120 ects, so if I leave the course on my own, i'll get a PGDip.
    If it says "completing" the course if you drop out you won't have completed the course therefore no qulification.

ReputationRep:
    universities are policing what people post on social media? wow we are really turning into a nanny state.
    Yes, unis do this, and have done for quite some time. A lot of people, such as the OP, link their social media to their uni in some way (lots of people's facebook pages show the uni they study at, for example). As such, anything you post could be linked to the university's reputation in the minds of some people, and most universities will have policies that allow them to discipline people for things they say on social media.

It's not really related to what the OP said, but someone on my course was given a warning for making a comment about one of our lecturers on a closed/private Facebook group.

Most companies also have social media policies these days. At my last job, my employers checked my social media before hiring me, and had a policy that employees were essentially not allowed to mention work at all on social media, and especially were not allowed to associate themselves with the company on social media.

I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of this, but it's not really related to the state. Organisations can and do police what you say on social media, so people need to be careful what they say.

The debate on the thread about whether or not it's ok to criticise religion is largely irrelevant as well. The uni can arbitrarily decide on what it's ok/not ok to say on social media. So long as it is in a documented policy somewhere, they can discipline you for this.

That said, for a first offense/first offense of this kind, the outcome is likely to just be a slap on the wrist.

ReputationRep:
    OP is obviously beating around the bush as to how offensive he was. It obviously wasn't something as simple as "I am completely opposed to blablabla", it was probably an angry rant about how "they should all be culled" or something. Universities don't have the time or resources to investigate small disagreements and criticisms. What OP said was probably a lot more severe than what he is alluding to so I don't have much sympathy for him at all.

btw, Universities are a lot more stringent when it comes to students studying subjects like medicine and nursing as fitness to practice concerns tend to arise.

In conclusion, it depends on what OP said and none of us can give proper advice until we know what OP said and the context of the situation.

EDIT: The name @Medistud2016 sounds medical-ish and if he is in fact studying medicine then the situation will be that much worse as the GMC might get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medistud2016)
    Help! I've just gotten a notice from my university because I've posted something indecent on my social media account. They say that insulting religion is against university policy. I've deleted my social media account and it has disappeared from google search, but who knows that somebody out there has a screenshot of my comment.

Meanwhile, I'm currently on my 3rd yr of a PG course, and actually I've for long considering dropping from the last year, as I currently have other commitments to do and writing thesis seem too much a burden for me. Let's say that I eventually got expelled, can I still have the PGDip title with me? Second, will it be better for me to simply withdraw from the course myself, or wait it for them to do it for me? Third, what if I simply make up excuse like somebody else may be hacking my account?

Thanks!
    Don't compile the problems - struggling academically is another issue to the incident on social media. I don't think they will kick you out but if it's investigated it would be best to honest and apologetic. I think you should put the issue behind you and focus on seeking help with you dissertation and getting that written. We all make mistakes and if you've reflected about it then that's good.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    That's utterly ridiculous.

If someone has a job in finance which requires them to be extremely trustworthy and show a level of integrity which is well beyond the norm for a standard job and they had cheated on their wife, would that call their suitability into question?
    Well... let's imagine you have someone on social media posting derogatory comments about a group of people: it raises serious concerns about this person being in charge of administering care and looking after the health of people from that group.

I don't know about cheating on your wife, but if you had something on your record involving petty theft or fraud or something like that you would have a difficult time getting an employer to accept you for a position that requires you to be very trustworthy. For those kinds of roles employers will be very careful and run background checks.

ReputationRep:
    Well... let's imagine you have someone on social media posting derogatory comments about a group of people: it raises serious concerns about this person being in charge of administering care and looking after the health of people from that group.

I don't know about cheating on your wife, but if you had something on your record involving petty theft or fraud or something like that you would have a difficult time getting an employer to accept you for a position that requires you to be very trustworthy. For those kinds of roles employers will be very careful and run background checks.
    Is this an advantage or disadvantage? Some would say the latter. As good as social media is the negative is employers check what kind of person they are employing, so I'd say to not post insults on Twitter, YT or upload pictures on Facebook where one is inebriated and doing allsorts (posing with guns etc)

Like someone said above FB is linked to Uni in Education field, you can't escape it so just behave online as difficult as it can be.

ReputationRep:

Insulting religion is not the same as insulting a group of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medistud2016)
    help! I've just gotten a notice from my university because i've posted something indecent on my social media account. They say that insulting religion is against university policy. I've deleted my social media account and it has disappeared from google search, but who knows that somebody out there has a screenshot of my comment.

Meanwhile, i'm currently on my 3rd yr of a pg course, and actually i've for long considering dropping from the last year, as i currently have other commitments to do and writing thesis seem too much a burden for me. Let's say that i eventually got expelled, can i still have the pgdip title with me? Second, will it be better for me to simply withdraw from the course myself, or wait it for them to do it for me? Third, what if i simply make up excuse like somebody else may be hacking my account?

Thanks!
    hahahahahahahaha hope you get kicked out lolololol

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be religiouscist

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.