How do pH values change when weak acids are neutralised?

Watch
username2049777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Please give examples of the weak acid and also the website you found the info on (if used)? I've literally been trawling the internet since yesterday and found 1 sort of ok-ish answer, it's for my chem CA resit and i really need some information to write up on.
Thank you!
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you neutralise any acid, you must be adding a base (such as ammonia - weak base) so the pH will increase - becoming more basic. If you add a strong base (sodium hydroxide) to a strong acid (hydrochloric acid) then the pH will start of low and then will end up high.
If you add a weak base (ammonia) to a strong acid then the pH will start off low and end up at around 9-10.
If you use weak acids then the pH will start off higher - at around 3-5 - but will end up the same as if you used a strong acid.
username2049777
Rep:
?
(Original post by B_9710)
When you neutralise any acid, you must be adding a base (such as ammonia - weak base) so the pH will increase - becoming more basic. If you add a strong base (sodium hydroxide) to a strong acid (hydrochloric acid) then the pH will start of low and then will end up high.
If you add a weak base (ammonia) to a strong acid then the pH will start off low and end up at around 9-10.
If you use weak acids then the pH will start off higher - at around 3-5 - but will end up the same as if you used a strong acid.
THANK YOU SO MUCH - but do you have a website that says this? I wish i could reference you but apparently answer sites are unreliable sources...
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tinawu)
THANK YOU SO MUCH - but do you have a website that says this? I wish i could reference you but apparently answer sites are unreliable sources...
To be honest for all this information just go to chemguide - search it on google - it is an A-level website but it goes through (everything) - there are pages about acid base reactions that you can learn from and so you can also reference it aswell.
username2049777
Rep:
?
(Original post by B_9710)
To be honest for all this information just go to chemguide - search it on google - it is an A-level website but it goes through (everything) - there are pages about acid base reactions that you can learn from and so you can also reference it aswell.
Is adding a base the only way to neutralise an acid? and also, is an alkali a base?
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tinawu)
Is adding a base the only way to neutralise an acid? and also, is an alkali a base?
Yes the only way to neutralise an acid is to add a base.
An alkalai is a base that is soluble in water. All alkalais are bases, but not all bases are alkalais.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads