Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! (Sorry this will be quite a long post, bear with me)

I've run into a few issues as of lately when it comes to my option choices. My desired pathway is to study medicine in a Russell group university (preferably Oxbridge or Imperial College) and I'm attempting to make everything from now on ideal for that.
    I've chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Philosophy and Ethics. I know that I need three sciences but I guess my first question for all of you would be what would be the best fourth Arts/Written subject for someone aiming for a career in medicine. I mean out of History, English Lit and Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology etc, because I would love to study a fourth subject which is diverse from my other three and grants me other types of skills. So which do you think is the most relevant for medicine?

My second question deals with work experience. It has been horribly difficult to gain work experience around my area for medicine so I have opted for other things meanwhile.

My work experience:

I tutor primary school children.
    Fulfil a programme called "Beanstalk" where I read to primary school children
    Did work experience as a school science technician.
    Did work experience as a carer in a nursery.
    Hopefully this summer will do work experience/shadowing in a local pharmacy.
    Then in sixth form my school will ideally grant me clinical work experience.
    Is that okay? I hear work experience is highly valued and I'm desperately looking for clinical experience but I have been unable to find any. What do you think so far?

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I am genuinely concerned about these two. Thank you to any who answer.

*I am expected to gain A* in all the subjects I have selected at GCSE. Moreover a minimum of 7* at GCSE although I am aiming for more*

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    What did you do as a Science Technician? Did you enjoy it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.