Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I currently have a job offer for the Civil Service Fast Stream as an economist in the department for Business, Innovation and Skills. I'm yet to find out where in the department I have been allocated.

I am weighing this offer up against both an alternative job offer and postgraduate study offers. The GES has a lot going for it: interesting and rewarding work, a good benefits package, excellent work-life balance and very good learning and development opportunities. However, I'm curious as to whether anyone can provide any insight on a few questions I have about the scheme further down the line:

- How well supported is funded postgraduate study in the GES these days? I know it has been possible in the past but am not sure how exclusive this is and whether tightened budgets have made it less feasible these days.
    - What are the exit opportunities like, particularly internationally? I don't see myself taking a linear career trajectory and would like to be employable in other countries too, ideally.
    - Finally, how easy is to to move between departments? I'm definitely interested in much of what BIS is involved in but the economics I'm more interested in is probably being done in departments like DECC, FCO and DFID.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    bump?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.