Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I've recently decided that I would like to apply for a postgraduate course and like the look of the English course at the University of Durham. However, all of the English courses start in 2017 and run through the academic year 2017/18.

I understand that it is quite late in the year for applications, but does this mean that the courses are all already full?

Thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lusq1)
    I've recently decided that I would like to apply for a postgraduate course and like the look of the English course at the University of Durham. However, all of the English courses start in 2017 and run through the academic year 2017/18.

I understand that it is quite late in the year for applications, but does this mean that the courses are all already full?
    The usual time for applications to master's courses in English is around Christmas or early in the new calendar year. 'Full' is a difficult word to use because Durham will have a range of numbers they want to hit in terms of student recruitment for their English MAs and they'll probably make more offers than that, knowing that a certain proportion of students will reject their offer because they get a better offer elsewhere, reject their offer because they didn't win funding and can't self-fund, or possibly (in the cases where they make conditional offers to students who're still final-year undergraduates) accept their offer but then not get the results from their BA that they need to meet Durham's conditions. It's a messy and uncertain business and it only really shakes down when the course actually starts. Late entry to master's courses isn't unheard of though I don't know whether Durham do it.

You've most likely missed the boat in terms of being considered for any funding they have available, and they're probably not short of good candidates, but it wouldn't hurt to send them an email and enquire -- they're the people who know best what's going on and they're not going to be annoyed by the question. I'd suggest emailing either the postgraduate secretary or the admissions secretary listed on the English department's 'contact us' page.

ReputationRep:
    Do not give up hope yet. I submit my application three weeksago and gotmy offer of English Literary studies on Mar.2. Already firmed it. Good luck~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.