Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian (have been so for 4 months, which was incidentally just before I started working out at the gym), and recently am attempting to make the transition into veganism. I'm trying to bulk up, made some gains, mainly biceps but find it hard to gain healthy lean muscle mass due to having a fast metabolism. I just want to have an idea of what your workout and dietary routine is like? Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody replied? Hmm, okay.

Have a look at The Hodgetwins. They recently went vegetarian and upload videos of their diets and routines. Worth checking out. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    nucdev ravioliyears
    I'm sure y'all are vegetarian too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    nucdev ravioliyears
    I'm sure y'all are vegetarian too!
    Urmm.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Urmm.......
    You're not?! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I'm a vegetarian (have been so for 4 months, which was incidentally just before I started working out at the gym), and recently have attempting to make the transition into veganism. I'm trying to bulk up, made some gains, mainly biceps but find it hard to gain healthy lean muscle mass due to having a fast metabolism. I just want to have an idea of what your workout dietary routine is like? Many thanks!
    I'm a vegetarian and i work out. Basically i do full body workouts whenever i go to the gym. I start of with the the place i want to gain the most muscle first. So for example, if i want to make some chest gains, I'll start of by warming my chest up and then start doing reps of 10 with 50kg (about 3 sets). Then i will move up weight, to my max (3/4 sets). Then i will use other exercises or apparatus to work my chest e.g. cross cables.

After i am done with my work out i eat a high in carbohydrates and protein based meal. For example i may have a bean curry with rice. After that i may have some nuts or cereal etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Nobody replied? Hmm, okay.

Have a look at The Hodgetwins. They recently went vegetarian and upload videos of their diets and routines. Worth checking out. Good luck.
    Yh listen to this guy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a life long vegetarian and vegan for a few years, I was practically vegan long before that so vegan for nutritional purposes since about 2008. I've gained in the region of 10kg of muscle (not weight, actual muscle) whilst vegan and given I'm 5ft5 that's a decent amount. I really think anyone who thinks it's harder to gain muscle whilst vegan just has a **** knowledge of foods that contain protein.

We don't need special routines so read the FAQ at the top of fitness, the only thing you need to know is non-animal protein sources which google can help you with.

I make bean burgers are based on chickpea cutlets from veganomicons. Vegan Dad has good TVP burger recipe. I use a lot of TVP though recently have been not skint so been using aldi's frozen mince. I make my own seitan based on Post Punk Kitchen recipe. Chinese supermarkets often have frozen mock meats- I recommend 'vegetarian chicken ham'. More expensive but all Fry's products are vegan (in Holland and Barret) and Linda McCartney Sausages (get them in Iceland for £1, or maybe it was Farm Foods). I make a lot of lentil and veg soups since the veg is so low calorie you end up high % protein. That's just my bigger chunks, oats, nuts, soy milk, veg etc all add up in little bits too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi :-)

I havent eaten animal products in almost a year! (apart from one time over christmas I apparently got wasted and ate a slice of cheese pizza - I don't remember this at all but my friends like to remind me if I ever use the word vegan ). I know a loooooooot about plant based nutrition, drop me a message if you wanna chat. As for the workouts, I stick to cardio and abs work so can't help you out there, but check out the bodybuilding site
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Im not a vegetarian (sadly a meat eater) but I do love experimenting with food and would love to know more about veggie / vegan food (sans alcohol, tobacco or drugs) as I do eat veg food 3/7 days a week and am fedup of dhal (lentils)

ReputationRep:
    My aim for January was to give up meat, I managed to last the whole month and I still haven't eaten any meat!
    I never really ate much anyway, I only really ate chicken, occasionally pork and beef but that's it and that was rare.
    But the thought of actually eating meat now makes me feel a bit sick? It's really weird especially as I had no intention of keeping up cutting out meat.
    But yeah! I actually don't think I'll ever eat meat again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    You're not?! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
    No

ReputationRep:
    No
    *Indian accent* You eat-uh the non-veg, how dare you?!
    Hahahah :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm a vegetarian!

ReputationRep:
    No
    PAAP ON YOUR SOUL! PAAAAP!
    jk. as my mum would say "tari marji"

ReputationRep:
    Vegan over here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I'm a vegetarian (have been so for 4 months, which was incidentally just before I started working out at the gym), and recently have attempting to make the transition into veganism. I'm trying to bulk up, made some gains, mainly biceps but find it hard to gain healthy lean muscle mass due to having a fast metabolism. I just want to have an idea of what your workout dietary routine is like? Many thanks!

I've been a vegetarian for about 18 months and in that time I have gained strength while maintaining around the same weight. Bear in mind that I had already been lifting for 4 years or so before that and I'm not looking to gain weight particularly (I'm already at a weight I like being at). I guess my point is just that it's perfectly possible, as if anyone didn't already know that.

The easiest way to bulk up when you're thin and think you have a high metabolism is just to eat a LOT more than you used to - regardless of your dietary choices. Most of your cals will come from carbs, and being a vegetarian makes literally zero difference to your ability to eat a **** load of carbs.

I do drink a couple of whey/soy protein shakes per day as an easy protein source. My diet in general is something like

Wake up
    Protein shake

Breakfast - Porridge with 100g oats with pint of milk (that's 600 cals and 30+g of protein right from the off)
    A banana or melon or something

Early lunch - my main meal - usually carbs from pasta, potato, rice or bread, plus cheese, pulses (chick peas on the regular), lentils, loads of veg. Enchiladas full of mushrooms, quorn chicken, peppers, onions, loads of cheese, etc... Delicious. Pizza is your vegetarian friend.

Afternoon snack/meal - Either a sandwich and a protein shake, or a few fried eggs on toast (my neighbour has chickens in the garden and sells me eggs so I know they're true free range )

Dinner - A smaller meal. Sometimes sandwiches. Usually rice and beans with diced onion and pepper (south america ftw).

Fruit and/or yoghurt for dessert.

Not including snacks like cake or chocolate or fruit or nuts I eat throughout the day.

Hope that helps, OP.

ReputationRep:
    As a veggie with a high metabolism and active job I have struggled too when I've tried to gain weight. My tip would be chocolate milk. The sugar is obviously not great, but if you throw some protein powder in there too it will help with getting that in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.