Turn on thread page Beta

CBT and college watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm going to start CBT soon for my depression and was just wondering if I should tell my college or anything like that? i mean, it could be offered as a reason for why my grades are so bad (they are really bad) but no one is really asking for an explanation lol. Just wondering, and i know you can tell UCAS about stuff like mental illnesses but I don't know what you would get from doing that, any advice is appreciated (i'm an A2 student by the way if it wasn't clear)
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by purplebricks)
    Hi,
    I'm going to start CBT soon for my depression and was just wondering if I should tell my college or anything like that? i mean, it could be offered as a reason for why my grades are so bad (they are really bad) but no one is really asking for an explanation lol. Just wondering, and i know you can tell UCAS about stuff like mental illnesses but I don't know what you would get from doing that, any advice is appreciated (i'm an A2 student by the way if it wasn't clear)
    Thanks
    Hey,

I ended up getting diagnosed with mental health problems in my A2s and I told my school. I got rest breaks for my exams and they put in mitigating circumstances for me as I had a lot of medication changes during my exams! There's no harm in telling them how you are struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Hey,

I ended up getting diagnosed with mental health problems in my A2s and I told my school. I got rest breaks for my exams and they put in mitigating circumstances for me as I had a lot of medication changes during my exams! There's no harm in telling them how you are struggling.
    Okay, thank you! I might tell them then, but do you think it's too late to have anything done for me in regards to my exams?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Okay, thank you! I might tell them then, but do you think it's too late to have anything done for me in regards to my exams?
    Oh gosh, no, plenty of time! I didn't get my first diagnosis until around this time last year and I was able to get my rest breaks, so there's time! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, no, plenty of time! I didn't get my first diagnosis until around this time last year and I was able to get my rest breaks, so there's time! :hugs:
    alright thanks again (: do you think they'll want to talk to my parent or would a letter be enough? i have a letter but it's from the counseling service and not my gp is that good enough?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    alright thanks again (: do you think they'll want to talk to my parent or would a letter be enough? i have a letter but it's from the counseling service and not my gp is that good enough?
    My school invited my daddy in but that's cause that's what we thought was best. I needed a letter from my GP so I would reckon you'd be best getting one too.

ReputationRep:
    My school invited my daddy in but that's cause that's what we thought was best. I needed a letter from my GP so I would reckon you'd be best getting one too.
    ahhh okay then, seems like a pain :/// i'll just talk to someone and see what they say. if i don't want to go ahead with it, they can't really force me, right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    ahhh okay then, seems like a pain :/// i'll just talk to someone and see what they say. if i don't want to go ahead with it, they can't really force me, right?
    It is a pain. My old GP was such a *****, I had to beg for my letter. And you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    It is a pain. My old GP was such a *****, I had to beg for my letter. And you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with.
    I called the GP and they made me kinda confused to be honest, they were saying stuff like "if you need a letter to show you have special circumstances don't you need it after the exams?" but that's wrong right? you need it before don't you? i said that and she said she'll call me when she's written it. i figured i'd get the letter first before i talked to the person in charge of exams at my school so less hassle.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I called the GP and they made me kinda confused to be honest, they were saying stuff like "if you need a letter to show you have special circumstances don't you need it after the exams?" but that's wrong right? you need it before don't you? i said that and she said she'll call me when she's written it. i figured i'd get the letter first before i talked to the person in charge of exams at my school so less hassle.
    You would need it before. She was probably thinking about mitigating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    You would need it before. She was probably thinking about mitigating circumstances.
    now i'm thinking it was my fault for not properly explaining what i wanted, ah. do you think i could get that too, right now? or are you supposed to apply for that later? sorry if these questions are dumb
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    now i'm thinking it was my fault for not properly explaining what i wanted, ah. do you think i could get that too, right now? or are you supposed to apply for that later? sorry if these questions are dumb
    Your school submit that so it would be best to discuss it with them. For me it was a backup just in case things went wrong.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.