Turn on thread page Beta

What 's the real status of canner screening in your country? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medical student in a small country in Asia, Vietnam. When I read the recommendations about cancer screening (such as this link http://www.cancer.org/healthy/toolsa...dations-by-age), I'm very surprised about that. Because in my country, there 's only 1 screening program that is organized well that is cervical cancer screening. The others aren't popular to patients and doctors also rarely suggest them to patients.
    So when I read guidlines, recommendations in developed countries, I wonder the real satus of screening in your countries?
    I mean:
    How often do doctors suggest screeing tests to patients?
    and
    What 's the attitude of patients to screening? Are there many patients accepting them?
    Thanks for your reading.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors don't really suggest screening to patients. Instead you get an invitation to screening in the post when you're elligible. So everyone receives an invite and it is not left to doctors discretion.

We have very good uptake rates for breast and cervical screening. Bowel cancer screening is newer and has poorer uptake, mostly because the test is less pleasant (home stool sample collection, or in some areas a one-off flexible sigmoidoscopy)

ReputationRep:
    Thank Ghotay very much. I think there are many people in your country joining screening programs.
    I'm very sad for patients in my country who are diagnosed cancer in late stages because of not knowing about screening. I wish I can open a professional cancer screening program in my country (based on guidlines of developed countries such as your country) in the future. I think it's a big project in the real status here, but I hope I can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vinhphuc25md)
    Thank Ghotay very much. I think there are many people in your country joining screening programs.
    I'm very sad for patients in my country who are diagnosed cancer in late stages because of not knowing about screening. I wish I can open a professional cancer screening program in my country (based on guidlines of developed countries such as your country) in the future. I think it's a big project in the real status here, but I hope I can
    A nationally funded program? The economics of screening programs can be very complicated and depend on specific circumstance and, of course, available funds. It may be that a bowel cancer screening program is not economical in say Vietnam at this time and that that money would be better spent opening new clinics, or alternative screening programs (e.g. newborns) or elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    A nationally funded program? The economics of screening programs can be very complicated and depend on specific circumstance and, of course, available funds. It may be that a bowel cancer screening program is not economical in say Vietnam at this time and that that money would be better spent opening new clinics, or alternative screening programs (e.g. newborns) or elsewhere.
    Thanks for your advice. I also think it will be difficult. But beside economic problem, it 's also for the benefit of patients. I haven't yet had clear plan, it 's just my intention

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.