The Student Room Group

Electricity EMF and Internal Resistance question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by samb1234
It works exactly the same for the internal resistance, you can just use a standard power formula. If you don't already know them, it would be worth getting comfortable with using p=I^2 R and p=v^2 /R as they make the written questions much easier

i don't know which values to use
Original post by thefatone
i don't know which values to use

p=I^2 R (would always use in this situation as it is a series circuit so by definition current is same everywhere, so don't have to do any extra calculations). So basically for the power lost due to internal resistance p=I^2 r where r is internal resistance
Reply 22
p=I^2 R (would always use in this situation as it is a series circuit so by definition current is same everywhere, so don't have to do any extra calculations). So basically for the power lost due to internal resistance p=I^2 r where r is internal resistance

oh right i used the wrong value of resistance xD
Reply 23

pd across terminals of a cell was 1.1v when current is 0.2A and 1.3v when current was 0.1A
how do i find internal resistance of cell and emf?
Original post by thefatone
pd across terminals of a cell was 1.1v when current is 0.2A and 1.3v when current was 0.1A
how do i find internal resistance of cell and emf?

Vt=emf-ir

solve simultaneously with 2 different currents
Reply 25
Vt=emf-ir

solve simultaneously with 2 different currents

ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest