The Student Room Group

advice needed about mental health nursing

im at college now and im thinking about doing mental health nursing at uni, however i need advice on what i should do before i even start applying to uni's. can anyone help please???
Original post by na287
im at college now and im thinking about doing mental health nursing at uni, however i need advice on what i should do before i even start applying to uni's. can anyone help please???

Well it may be useful to gain some experience working with vulnerable adults, although you don't really need experience to get in, it would give you an advantage and help you see what it's like! Maybe at a hospital or in the community anything where you're working with people is good! Also learning about mental health issues in the NHS is good for your general knowledge and insight into what mental health nurses work with on a daily basis. That's it really! I never knew what I wanted to do in college I only decided quite recently so it's good you're thinking about it early on! Just make sure you know what you're going into and why you want to go into it!

As for personal statements your college tutors can help you with editing but you can also look at UCAS and university guidelines for nursing statements. Also make sure you write how you really feel so its not so overtly constructed and insincere! Maybe what first got you into mental health nursing, experiences and books you've read? Try to make your statement unique to you! Obviously majority of the statement should be academic but the other parts can be personal!! (I am applying to mental health nursing this year I have two offers still waiting for another!)
Original post by na287

I wanted to add, nursing isn't like many careers, it's a tough and challenging career so be prepared! It's not for everyone so definitely be aware that student nurses are on placement half the time in university, working long hours and working with vulnerable adults who may or may not be cooperative. That being said, it's a career where you develop bonds with people and help them in their time of need which makes the job fulfilling.
Reply 3
Original post by count_drac
Well it may be useful to gain some experience working with vulnerable adults, although you don't really need experience to get in, it would give you an advantage and help you see what it's like! Maybe at a hospital or in the community anything where you're working with people is good! Also learning about mental health issues in the NHS is good for your general knowledge and insight into what mental health nurses work with on a daily basis. That's it really! I never knew what I wanted to do in college I only decided quite recently so it's good you're thinking about it early on! Just make sure you know what you're going into and why you want to go into it!

As for personal statements your college tutors can help you with editing but you can also look at UCAS and university guidelines for nursing statements. Also make sure you write how you really feel so its not so overtly constructed and insincere! Maybe what first got you into mental health nursing, experiences and books you've read? Try to make your statement unique to you! Obviously majority of the statement should be academic but the other parts can be personal!! (I am applying to mental health nursing this year I have two offers still waiting for another!)

Thank you!!! Well ive started looking for places i can volunteer at or where i can work shadow to see what it would kind of be like.
I've never been 100% on what i want to actually do so this year i feel like i need to properly decide because i know i definitely do want to go uni next year.
And if im honest, mental health nursing sounds interesting and i feel like i could help a lot of adults with mental health issues.

Where have you applied to??
Original post by na287
Thank you!!! Well ive started looking for places i can volunteer at or where i can work shadow to see what it would kind of be like.
I've never been 100% on what i want to actually do so this year i feel like i need to properly decide because i know i definitely do want to go uni next year.
And if im honest, mental health nursing sounds interesting and i feel like i could help a lot of adults with mental health issues.

Where have you applied to??

That's great! Well if it's something you're interested in, that's good! I applied to Greenwich, Southbank, City and Middlesex. I had three offers from Greenwich, Southbank and Middlesex, I withdrew from city( by the time my interview arrived I had a few offers). I accepted Middlesex as my first choice. Are you aware of the bursary cuts for 2017? If you live around London or planning to study in London Greenwich have September and March intake so if you applied for March it wouldn't affect you.
I agree with count_drac, volunteering is a great way to get experience and something to talk about in your personal statement and at interview. It might be worth looking at volunteering in care homes or with people with learning or physical disabilities as all of the experience and skills are transferable. I have heard of midwifery applicants working/volunteering in care homes, so any experience within healthcare is an advantage and a great way to learn more.
I'd recommend looking at what the entry requirements are for the universities you would be applying to, so you know you are working towards them now, as you said you are at college at the moment.
NHS careers and the RCN website are great for advice about nursing careers, so you can find out more about mental health nursing and what it's like to work as a mental health nurse.
Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by count_drac
That's great! Well if it's something you're interested in, that's good! I applied to Greenwich, Southbank, City and Middlesex. I had three offers from Greenwich, Southbank and Middlesex, I withdrew from city( by the time my interview arrived I had a few offers). I accepted Middlesex as my first choice. Are you aware of the bursary cuts for 2017? If you live around London or planning to study in London Greenwich have September and March intake so if you applied for March it wouldn't affect you.

I live in Manchester and I'm not quite sure where I want to study to be honest. I've heard a little about it but not much, think I need to read up more about it.
Original post by na287
I live in Manchester and I'm not quite sure where I want to study to be honest. I've heard a little about it but not much, think I need to read up more about it.

Okay well just read up on the universities you like in your area or which ever you are interested and maybe attend open days closer to the time! Maybe read current students' opinion on the university as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending