Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if anyone else feels like they are sooooo behind with their work.

I'm actually pretty ahead compared to most people at my school but I feel like I'm putting myself under so much pressure. My school is very academic and competitive for a normal comprehensive school and the teachers are really pushing us and I already feel like there's so much work but so little time.

I want to do medicine when I leave school too so this just makes me feel even more anxious because I know lots of med applicants have like 200 A*s.

I'm lucky that my parents don't really put much pressure on me tbh. They care, but they don't care at the same time lol.

ReputationRep:
    im a uni student and im way behind since having swine flu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)

I'm actually pretty ahead compared to most people at my school but I feel like I'm putting myself under so much pressure. My school is very academic and competitive for a normal comprehensive school and the teachers are really pushing us and I already feel like there's so much work but so little time.

I want to do medicine when I leave school too so this just makes me feel even more anxious because I know lots of med applicants have like 200 A*s.

I'm lucky that my parents don't really put much pressure on me tbh. They care, but they don't care at the same time lol.
    Yeah, I am an above average student in my school and yet I always feel so dumb all the time and I feel like I am never motivated enough to do work. My parents have the same attitude as yours.

I think it all boils down to our personal expectations, my grades are already above average but I always want to get higher otherwise I consider myself dumb. Being under pressure is not always a bad thing, some people work better when they know something is at risk.

My older brother is going to medical school and at GCSE's he got 5 A*s and 6 A's so the pressure is on me to get better than him from my family

If you want to go to a medical school I would highly recommend focusing your efforts onto Biology and Chemistry, with the scrapping of AS levels, GCSE's are going to become more and more important because they are going to give medical schools and indication of how good you are at a subject. Many medical school want a minimum of an A in chemistry at GCSE before they consider you.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mish2000)
    Yeah, I am an above average student in my school and yet I always feel so dumb all the time and I feel like I am never motivated enough to do work. My parents have the same attitude as yours.

I think it all boils down to our personal expectations, my grades are already above average but I always want to get higher otherwise I consider myself dumb. Being under pressure is not always a bad thing, some people work better when they know something is at risk.

My older brother is going to medical school and at GCSE's he got 5 A*s and 6 A's so the pressure is on me to get better than him from my family

If you want to go to a medical school I would highly recommend focusing your efforts onto Biology and Chemistry, with the scrapping of AS levels, GCSE's are going to become more and more important because they are going to give medical schools and indication of how good you are at a subject. Many medical school want a minimum of an A in chemistry at GCSE before they consider you.

Best of luck!
    Thanks for replying! What are you aiming for at GCSE? If I got 8 A*s/As I'd be happy.

I'm working really hard on the three sciences, and I also read that GCSEs are going to be looked at more because the A Levels are going to be even harder for us than they are now!

Do you want to go into medicine like your brother? I just don't know if I'm cut out for it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    im a uni student and im way behind since having swine flu
    Poor you, get well soon. I've got a bad cold atm but nothing compared to the swine flu.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    GCSE was a piece of cake - even though I was wayyyy behind, A-levels are killing me thoug

ReputationRep:
    Poor you, get well soon. I've got a bad cold atm but nothing compared to the swine flu.
    thanks, its pretty rough. closing in on 2 weeks having had it now

ReputationRep:

I have a teacher that constantly moans at me for being slow. I get so bad I put myself down. I'm far behind

Posted from TSR Mobile

DONT feel like your under pressure or put yourself under pressure. Just take life how it goes. 1000's of students will be sitting the same exam as you and thousands in the previous year have been in your shoes. Just take life how it goes and just keep upbeat revision and youll be fine. Because honestly, no one will care how many A*s you obtained in the next 10 years

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying! What are you aiming for at GCSE? If I got 8 A*s/As I'd be happy.

I'm working really hard on the three sciences, and I also read that GCSEs are going to be looked at more because the A Levels are going to be even harder for us than they are now!

Do you want to go into medicine like your brother? I just don't know if I'm cut out for it yet.
    Well I am aiming for 8 A*'s and A's as well. Personally I have no interest in Chemistry or medicine, I am more interested in subjects like Maths, Physics and ICT. At this point I am aiming to study Computer Science.

However my parents are old fashioned, they hardly understand anything about what I want to study and so they just pressure me to study something like medicine or pharmacy because they consider it the safe route, even though I really don't want to. I want to take Physics, maths and further maths at A level but my parents keep telling me to take Chemistry.

Whether or not you choose to study medicine is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am aiming for 8 A*'s and A's as well. Personally I have no interest in Chemistry or medicine, I am more interested in subjects like Maths, Physics and ICT. At this point I am aiming to study Computer Science.

However my parents are old fashioned, they hardly understand anything about what I want to study and so they just pressure me to study something like medicine or pharmacy because they consider it the safe route, even though I really don't want to. I want to take Physics, maths and further maths at A level but my parents keep telling me to take Chemistry.

Whether or not you choose to study medicine is up to you however I am going to give you some advice based on what I know.
    - First of all if you want to study medicine only because somebody in your family is pressuring you to, then just ignore them and do your own research before making your choice.
    - Now like I said before I would only recommend medicine if you have an interest in Chemistry and Biology.
    - Lastly getting into medicine is VERY competitive, my brother got excellent grades at both A level and GCSE but he didn't get any offers his first time around. Make sure you have something to show for other than your grades, do some extra curricular, participate in science based events. Above all do things that are related to medicine, volunteering is good because you get to know people and can communicate effectively which is a key skill for doctors. My brother volunteered at an old peoples home and this helped him because it shows that he can deal with people who have different needs.
    Communicating is key to doctors so be confident.
    Hope this helps
    Are you Asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Are you Asian?
    Middle Eastern actually.

ReputationRep:
    Middle Eastern actually.
    Hmm I am revising like f*** jokes jokes still small stresses but apart from that i am fab

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.