Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this week we received our January exam results and as such I felt it appropriate to celebrate last night with it being Saturday. I invited a couple of my friends around and we proceeded to pre drink in my room, with music of course.

Unfortunately, I was one of those naive freshers who signed for a house far too early last year and am currently living with a few *******s, but we try to tolerate each other.

So half an hour into pre drinks (9:30pm), one of my housemates posted in the group chat, "Whoever has got their music on can they turn it down please? I can hear it over my TV!" I turned it down slightly to shut her up. Then later on in the evening (11:30pm) a second message was posted in the group chat, "whoever is in the house making so much noise, can you just shut up?!"

My question is: Considering it was a Saturday, I hadn't been out since January, and that we left the house before 12, was I unreasonable? and what would be the best way to respond to this?

ReputationRep:
    Nah tell them to stfu and be less boring.

(Original post by liverpoolsposci)
    So this week we received our January exam results and as such I felt it appropriate to celebrate last night with it being Saturday. I invited a couple of my friends around and we proceeded to pre drink in my room, with music of course.

Unfortunately, I was one of those naive freshers who signed for a house far too early last year and am currently living with a few *******s, but we try to tolerate each other.

So half an hour into pre drinks (9:30pm), one of my housemates posted in the group chat, "Whoever has got their music on can they turn it down please? I can hear it over my TV!" I turned it down slightly to shut her up. Then later on in the evening (11:30pm) a second message was posted in the group chat, "whoever is in the house making so much noise, can you just shut up?!"

My question is: Considering it was a Saturday, I hadn't been out since January, and that we left the house before 12, was I unreasonable? and what would be the best way to respond to this?
    Wherein lies the mistake in applying too early?

Regarding the housemate: tell her to join in with you, or stop ruining your party!

ReputationRep:
    It's a house, not a party house. You're not Noel Edmonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wherein lies the mistake in applying too early?
    We didn't really know each other well enough last November when we signed the contract and now, then later realised we didn't particularly like each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    It's a house, not a party house. You're not Noel Edmonds.
    Yeah but it's a student house on the Saturday of results week...

ReputationRep:
    The day and your lack of social life are totally irrelevant. Excessive noise after 11pm is illegal. Cut it out, quit being a jerk and go to a bar instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's a student house on the Saturday of results week...
    There are places you can go if you want to get wild, though. I think people are entitled to expect a certain level of quiet in the place they live after 10/11pm. What do you think is more inconvenient, someone trying to wind down in their own home and hearing music pumping or someone wanting to party and having to go out to do it? If you were going out anyway you could have just done it an hour or two earlier.

ReputationRep:
    There are places you can go if you want to get wild, though. I think people are entitled to expect a certain level of quiet in the place they live after 10/11pm. What do you think is more inconvenient, someone trying to wind down in their own home and hearing music pumping or someone wanting to party and having to go out to do it? If you were going out anyway you could have just done it an hour or two earlier.
    I would agree with you but clearly this isn't a regular thing. There have been occasions when she has had parties mid-week staying in until at least 1 before heading out. I don't mention it because I understand we're students and it's to be expected. This is why it has bothered me, that she couldn't have just bit her tongue for one night.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with you but clearly this isn't a regular thing. There have been occasions when she has had parties mid-week staying in until at least 1 before heading out. I don't mention it because I understand we're students and it's to be expected. This is why it has bothered me, that she couldn't have just bit her tongue for one night.
    Well, in that case I would have just pointed out her own behaviour in the past. But I'm guessing you guys have neighbours? So you should probably both think about toning it down anyway. The other weekend the teenagers next door to me decided to party while their parents were out and their music ended up vibrating our walls/floor and was even heard next door but one. It's easy to become immune to loud music when you're in it, but it isn't half annoying if you're living next door. You never know when someone might be ill or working or just trying to get some rest/sleep.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You have to remember that other people live there too

ReputationRep:
    Well, in that case I would have just pointed out her own behaviour in the past. But I'm guessing you guys have neighbours? So you should probably both think about toning it down anyway. The other weekend the teenagers next door to me decided to party while their parents were out and their music ended up vibrating our walls/floor and was even heard next door but one. It's easy to become immune to loud music when you're in it, but it isn't half annoying if you're living next door. You never know when someone might be ill or working or just trying to get some rest/sleep.
    No we don't have neighbours. Both houses on either side are boarded up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You have to remember that other people live there too
    Hence why we left at 12, which isn't by any means late for students particularly on a saturday. In halls the noise curfew was always 12:30.

ReputationRep:
    You're always going to get a few condescending replies on here (not saying that every post in disagreement was) but in my opinion you did nothing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

F*** Em, F*** Em, F*** Em

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.