Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What equipment do colleges provide? Do you need to bring your own notepads/workbooks? Do you need to buy textbooks too? Binders/folders?

What about stationery - will you need things like coloured pens/pencils, highlighters or labels? (Pens and pencils are obvious c; ) What can colleges provide for you?

Also, will you need anything like a laptop or tablet for college (I've heard some people do) or do you still work like in high school, where you can only rely on computers at breaks or when teachers allow you to?

Any other useful items (like tape, gum, or preppy Tumblr s**t you'll find on Google Images)?

I'm sorry for all the questions! But I haven't found a list or thread out there that outlines everything you may need...

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kamila,

I assume that what colleges provide varies between institutions, however, I suggest you take:

- Pens (biros, coloured pens)
    - Pencils (writing pencils and colouring pencils)
    - Ruler, rubber and sharpener
    - A protractor and calculator if you're doing sciences or maths
    - A ring binder with dividers to separate each of your subjects
    - Lined paper

My college had most of the above available to buy in the library, but your college might be different. You can take in a laptop or tablet to lessons if you prefer to type, however I think you'd need to get permission first. Often your college will provide you with any textbooks or revision guides you need, so don't worry about that

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the answer It's helped me a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamilaterase)
    Thank you very much for the answer It's helped me a lot!
    I'm glad! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamilaterase)
    What equipment do colleges provide? Do you need to bring your own notepads/workbooks? Do you need to buy textbooks too? Binders/folders?

What about stationery - will you need things like coloured pens/pencils, highlighters or labels? (Pens and pencils are obvious c; ) What can colleges provide for you?

Also, will you need anything like a laptop or tablet for college (I've heard some people do) or do you still work like in high school, where you can only rely on computers at breaks or when teachers allow you to?

Any other useful items (like tape, gum, or preppy Tumblr s**t you'll find on Google Images)?

I'm sorry for all the questions! But I haven't found a list or thread out there that outlines everything you may need...

Thanks in advance!
    - 1 massive lever-arch folder per subject (for some subjects like maths I had 2)
    - Refill pads of paper, notebooks are okay in theory, but when it comes to just tearing them out to put in to your folder a) you have to then remove the bit that was torn from the binder and b) it ends up being smaller than A4 size.
    - Biros, buy quite a few of your bog standard biro (I use Black Bic pens because I think they're the best :love:) and a selection of coloured biro pens for writing notes and revision stuff where felt tips would be too thick.
    - Highlighters, they just make life easier
    - Stapler & Holepunch, at first you may think that it's redundant, but when your teacher is incapable of hole-punching anything and then complaining why it isn't already in your folder you'll understand why. And with the stapler, you don't really notice how often you need a stapler until you don't have one just lying around.
    - Cue/Record Cards, to write notes up on to
    - Fine felt tips, to visually separate your notes and aid in revision
    - Plastic wallets, provides a place for all of those sheets those neglectful teachers didn't holepunch or days where you forgot your holepunch or simply to put relevant things together. Don't be a cheapskate with this, I love a bargain as much as the next person but those really thin cheap plastic wallets just brake, buy the ones that are a bit thicker.

It's not the end of the world if you don't have all of these things or need more than this, just buy what you need when you notice that you need something. And, see what things you can get from your school/college first, I managed to get 2 folders and a whole pack of felt tips and like 3 packs of cue cards and post-its throughout the year. Sometimes you just need to be stealthy

ReputationRep:
    - Notebooks
    - Mechanical pencil + refills
    - Eraser
    - Calculator

That's all I've needed :yep:

ReputationRep:
    you could take everything from wilkinson and whsmith combined doesn't really matter.... by the end of the week your gonna be asking your mate for a pen ..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.