Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I've noticed that I can't take defenders on as well as I used to. Where I would jinx past a few before, now it is a little difficult.

Initially I blamed it on new shoes, poor touches etc. It turns out, as a friend pointed out to me, that defenders now "have me sussed". Apparently, I am very right footed, which means I always cut to my right. So the reason I haven't been taking many people on recently is because they just stand one extra step to their left, keeping me off my right foot.

What I want to know is, how do I stop this?

How do I incorporate the left side of my game more so I can cut to the left with the inside of my right foot, or even with my left foot, giving me another weapon in taking defenders on?

Is it a balance or core issue? I.e when I cut to the left with the inside of my right foot, I don't have a strong core to give me good balance to bounce off my right foot and get the ball?

ReputationRep:
    Just work on your left foot so you can competently pass/cross/shoot etc. Your touch isn't that fundamental as you can always knock it down the wing with your right foot.

Alternatively you can change positions, and play more centrally so you can go both ways and still use your right foot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Recently, I've noticed that I can't take defenders on as well as I used to. Where I would jinx past a few before, now it is a little difficult.

Initially I blamed it on new shoes, poor touches etc. It turns out, as a friend pointed out to me, that defenders now "have me sussed". Apparently, I am very right footed, which means I always cut to my right. So the reason I haven't been taking many people on recently is because they just stand one extra step to their left, keeping me off my right foot.

What I want to know is, how do I stop this?

How do I incorporate the left side of my game more so I can cut to the left with the inside of my right foot, or even with my left foot, giving me another weapon in taking defenders on?

Is it a balance or core issue? I.e when I cut to the left with the inside of my right foot, I don't have a strong core to give me good balance to bounce off my right foot and get the ball?
    It's likely more of a mental thing to be honest.
    You know you're good with your right foot and you know you can produce something if you go that way. However you aren't confident in your left-footed abilities so you don't want to strand yourself by cutting on to a weak side and producing something poor.

It's potentially a habitual pattern too. When you were younger, games aren't as intense and - importantly - defenders weren't as tactically aware as they will be at your current level. You could constantly use your right foot back then but you can't now, however you're finding it difficult to get out of that pattern.

I sympathise with you because I'm extremely left footed. I can do simple passes and a half decent clearance with my right and that's about it. The difference is that when you're a CB/LB it isn't as essential being strong on both sides like it is going forward.

The only advice I can offer is to train consistently with your left foot in the coming months. It may feel embarrassing if you're really weak on that side but start slow with simple passes and build up, increasing power and control as you go. As an attacking player, being confident on both sides is a huge advantage and if you can keep the defender guessing, you're gonna go far.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.