Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just been offered a year in industry placement at a company where my project would be trying to optimise cell growth culture conditions using the likes of CRISPR Cas and ZFNs, however, I am also organising a Summer internship at the same company where I would be developing assays on cancer cell lines.

I could do both, however, I don't want to leave my friends at university (soppy I know). I am also very interested in pharmaceuticals, drug development and physiological research so I am unsure whether this year placement would benefit me in any way as I know it is not a field of research I would want to go into anyway.

I know I want to go on to do a Masters/PhD, so is it beneficial for me to have a years placement undertaking a project that will have no relevance to my PhD choice? I also won't be paid a monthly salary, I'll be set three goals and get paid some money for each.

I'll be taking the Summer placement if I get offered it, I am just undecided on the Year in Industry - any ideas?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You're very lucky to have been offered both a year in industry and a summer placement. Most people struggle to even get one. If you want a career in research your best bet is to do both. Unfortunately being with your friends is not going to give you the competitive edge, research experience is. Any experience in a research environment is good because it's very different from a taught environment and you'll gain a load of skills which will help you to hit the ground running with whatever you plan to do next research wise. Your interests may change as you go along and actually realise what research is like and how it works so don't close your mind to areas of research. Also remember that a PhD is a learning process and does not define your career so you should look for projects that will give you a load of lab skills rather than necessarily fixate on a specific area of research. Finally, cell culture is a skill not an area of research and is one that is crucial to a lot of areas of research so don't underestimate the value of what you will learn from these placements.

ReputationRep:
    i have done both summer placements and an industrial year work experiences.
    My summer placement gave me a really small window to undergo daily lab work and just really understand lab dynamics.
    My industry placement was the best experience of my life and opened so many doors for me. I worked on cell based assay system (lots of them) and pre-in vivo work and my work is still very confidential. I applied immediately for PhDs and have obtained one in a different field (all pharmacology related though).
    I was told that PhD supervisors and application system really put most people with year in industry in a separate pile to get interviewed so it's something that will get you ahead of the game.
    I did have to leave my friends behind which was very difficult because they were closest/best friends I had ever made. Regardless, there were students doing a placement year with at the research pharmceutical company I was at so became reasonably close to them. Plus returning to final year, there are less distractions and can get through final year without any friend's drama! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been asked by a potential supervisor to come in 'to discuss' for a summer placement and I don't know if I should try and prepare something incase it's like an interview. Also I don't know any details of the research project yet.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I would just like to know what decision you went on with in the end bcause l'm currently going from my first to second year at uni and when I go back in September, I'll have to start looking at placements. I'm unsure if I should go through with a placement year or just get a summer internship between my 2nd and 3rd year because of the same reasons, leaving my friends.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.