AS Chemistry Equilibrium Question Help!!

Watch this thread
Gwenog_quidditch
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been stuck on this CH1 past paper question for too long and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the answers? Thanks!

So the question goes like this (It's quite long, sorry):

(a) Ammonia, which is a very important product in industry, is produced through the Haber process.
Nitrogen+Hydrogen (With high pressure, and an iron catalyst) --> Ammonia (with sulphuric acid) --> Ammonium sulphate

The Haber process can be represented by the following equation:
N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 -92kJ mol-1

(i) What type of catalyst is iron in the above process?
(ii) For the equilibrium reaction, explain why a lot research has been done to discover a better catalyst.
(iii) Explain why ammonia is being pulled from the equilibrium as it forms.

Thank you
Firenze26
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
I have been stuck on this CH1 past paper question for too long and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the answers? Thanks!

So the question goes like this (It's quite long, sorry):

(a) Ammonia, which is a very important product in industry, is produced through the Haber process.
Nitrogen+Hydrogen (With high pressure, and an iron catalyst) --> Ammonia (with sulphuric acid) --> Ammonium sulphate

The Haber process can be represented by the following equation:
N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 -92kJ mol-1

(i) What type of catalyst is iron in the above process?
(ii) For the equilibrium reaction, explain why a lot research has been done to discover a better catalyst.
(iii) Explain why ammonia is being pulled from the equilibrium as it forms.

Thank you
(i) I think the first one is asking whether it's homogenous or heterogenous
(ii) Think of the conditions needed to achieve the reaction and how sustainable it actually is. If you have a high pressure, what type of equipment do you need? How does it impact health and safety?
(iii) If it wasn't taken out as it forms, it is likely that it would turn into the third phase or react with the sulphuric acid. (Think of how the purity of a chemical or compound affects price and profits and effectiveness of fertiliser.)
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
(Original post by Firenze26)
(i) I think the first one is asking whether it's homogenous or heterogenous
(ii) Think of the conditions needed to achieve the reaction and how sustainable it actually is. If you have a high pressure, what type of equipment do you need? How does it impact health and safety?
(iii) If it wasn't taken out as it forms, it is likely that it would turn into the third phase or react with the sulphuric acid. (Think of how the purity of a chemical or compound affects price and profits and effectiveness of fertiliser.)
Thank you
Dr Cobbold
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
(Original post by Dr Cobbold)
I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I would love being part of a chemistry revision group.
Dr Cobbold
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
Thanks, I would love being part of a chemistry revision group.
Check your private messages

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads