Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been stuck on this CH1 past paper question for too long and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the answers? Thanks!

So the question goes like this (It's quite long, sorry):

(a) Ammonia, which is a very important product in industry, is produced through the Haber process.
    Nitrogen+Hydrogen (With high pressure, and an iron catalyst) --> Ammonia (with sulphuric acid) --> Ammonium sulphate

The Haber process can be represented by the following equation:
    N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 -92kJ mol-1

(i) What type of catalyst is iron in the above process?
    (ii) For the equilibrium reaction, explain why a lot research has been done to discover a better catalyst.
    (iii) Explain why ammonia is being pulled from the equilibrium as it forms.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    I have been stuck on this CH1 past paper question for too long and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the answers? Thanks!

So the question goes like this (It's quite long, sorry):

(a) Ammonia, which is a very important product in industry, is produced through the Haber process.
    Nitrogen+Hydrogen (With high pressure, and an iron catalyst) --> Ammonia (with sulphuric acid) --> Ammonium sulphate

The Haber process can be represented by the following equation:
    N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3 -92kJ mol-1

(i) What type of catalyst is iron in the above process?
    (ii) For the equilibrium reaction, explain why a lot research has been done to discover a better catalyst.
    (iii) Explain why ammonia is being pulled from the equilibrium as it forms.

Thank you
    (i) I think the first one is asking whether it's homogenous or heterogenous
    (ii) Think of the conditions needed to achieve the reaction and how sustainable it actually is. If you have a high pressure, what type of equipment do you need? How does it impact health and safety?
    (iii) If it wasn't taken out as it forms, it is likely that it would turn into the third phase or react with the sulphuric acid. (Think of how the purity of a chemical or compound affects price and profits and effectiveness of fertiliser.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    (i) I think the first one is asking whether it's homogenous or heterogenous
    (ii) Think of the conditions needed to achieve the reaction and how sustainable it actually is. If you have a high pressure, what type of equipment do you need? How does it impact health and safety?
    (iii) If it wasn't taken out as it forms, it is likely that it would turn into the third phase or react with the sulphuric acid. (Think of how the purity of a chemical or compound affects price and profits and effectiveness of fertiliser.)
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Cobbold)
    I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I would love being part of a chemistry revision group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    Thanks, I would love being part of a chemistry revision group.
    Check your private messages

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.