Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Q: For this curve, find where the curve meets the axes, state any symmetry and the behaviour as x -> infinity. Find the coordinates of any stationary points, determine whether they are maximum or minimum points or points of inflexion, and then sketch the curve.

The curve is y=3x^2-x^3

I have done everything above apart from the behaviour part, as I do not understand it. I would really appreciate it if someone explains to me how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarotOfMagic)
    Q: For this curve, find where the curve meets the axes, state any symmetry and the behaviour as x -> infinity. Find the coordinates of any stationary points, determine whether they are maximum or minimum points or points of inflexion, and then sketch the curve.

The curve is y=3x^2-x^3

I have done everything above apart from the behaviour part, as I do not understand it. I would really appreciate it if someone explains to me how to do it.
    Look at the graph of your function or simply look at the equation, what happens when x gets really really big?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Look at the graph of your function or simply look at the equation, what happens when x gets really really big?
    It gets closer to infinity?....

ReputationRep:
    It gets closer to infinity?....
    Does it really? Does it get closer to infinity or -infinity?

ReputationRep:
    Does it really? Does it get closer to infinity or -infinity?
    Oh, it gets closer to -infinity, my mistake. But why is this? I think I know why but I can't really put it to words.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it gets closer to -infinity, my mistake. But why is this? I think I know why but I can't really put it to words.
    Note that y=3x^2-x^3=x^3(\frac{3}{x}-1).

Now as x \to \infty, we have that x^3 \to \infty but what happens to the term in the bracket?

ReputationRep:
    As above, or you could also note that x^3 is miles bigger than x^2, so when you do 3x^2 - x^3 you're doing big number - bigger number which gets you -infinity. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Note that y=3x^2-x^3=x^3(\frac{3}{x}-1).

Now as x \to \infty, we have that x^3 \to \infty but what happens to the term in the bracket?
    It gets closer to infinity?

Sorry, I have never done this topic.

ReputationRep:

Nah, you have \frac{3}{x} \approx 0 for really big x, you agree with me? So when x goes off to infinity, what atsruser has written is \infty (0 -1) = \infty (-1) = -\infty, essentially. It's not really a topic, it's more of a logical thing you need to understand and be able to deduce yourself.

ReputationRep:

No. What does \frac{3}{x} get closer to as x \to \infty? That's just asking what happens to 3/x as we replace x with larger and larger numbers (imagine replacing it with 1000, then 1 000 000, then 1 000 000 000 etc.)

How big are the pieces of 3 cakes when you chop them into 1 000 000 pieces?

ReputationRep:
    So when x goes off to infinity, what atsruser has written is \infty (0 -1) = \infty (-1) = -\infty, essentially.
    Not really. What I've written is \text{(a very big number)} \times -1 = -\text{(a very big number)} and that's true regardless of how big the very big number happens to be.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. What I've written is \text{(a very big number)} \times -1 = -\text{(a very big number)} and that's true regardless of how big the very big number happens to be.
    Sorry, should have phrased it better. I meant "when you plug x = \infty into what atsruser wrote" instead of saying that that's what you've written.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you have \frac{3}{x} \approx 0 for really big x, you agree with me? So when x goes off to infinity, what atsruser has written is \infty (0 -1) = \infty (-1) = -\infty, essentially. It's not really a topic, it's more of a logical thing you need to understand and be able to deduce yourself.
    Thanks. I understand it slightly more now. So, the answer is just -infninity?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I understand it slightly more now. So, the answer is just -infninity?
    Kind of, you're meant to say that y diverges off to -infinity, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of, you're meant to say that y diverges off to -infinity, yeah.
    I checked the answer to this question and it was written minus/plus infinity. Is this the same thing as - infinity?

ReputationRep:
    I checked the answer to this question and it was written minus/plus infinity. Is this the same thing as - infinity?
    No, it's definitely -infinity. But it means that the examiners are willing to accept any answer that includes infinity, whether it's plus or minus infinity regardless of whether it's correct or not.

ReputationRep:
    I meant "when you plug x = \infty into what atsruser wrote"
    They're going to beat you with a stick at Cambridge, if you write stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    They're going to beat you with a stick at Cambridge, if you write stuff like that
    I half considered adding a spoiler to disclaim that I know that I'm being completely unrigorous. :rofl:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I half considered adding a spoiler to disclaim that I know that I'm being completely unrigorous. :rofl:
    I wonder if they'll accept those in supervision assignments.

"hand waves"

"I know I'm being unrigorous"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.