The Student Room Group

Flat mate has been out still pays rents bills?

Hi guys,

My flat mate have moved out as she got married... anyway do I still ask her to pay for bills and council tax?

She pays rent including the internet (dd is from her account)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Depends what it says in the contract. If she's liable for the utilities then you're within your right to ask she pays.

Why do you need her to pay for utilities she isn't using? Surely the bill will come down if it's just you there.
Are you now the only person in the flat left or are there others?

If its just you, then you should claim single persons CT discount, although if you are a full time student you shouldnt be paying CT.

Seems a bit off to ask her to pay bills if she no longer lives here as the utilities will be less becayse shes not there and will be solely what the remaining flat mates are using?
She should be paying her share of any fixed costs (internet, council tax etc.). Heating costs (which take up a large amount of the winter utility bills) won't reduce with less people living there too. She has chosen to move out early. That shouldn't have financial effects on you.
Just have a word with her, she shouldnt leave you in the lurch, but she shouldnt be paying for stuff only you use like utilities.
Reply 5
Hi guys, it was three of us now it is two, in regards to costs. It is a DD from my account every month. The usage is the exact same, we have a system boiler so the water heats up the exact time as before etc.
Reply 6
Is there a reason she hasn't moved out properly so that you can look for someone else?
Until the contract finishes she should continue to pay a share corresponding to the fixed element of the utility costs. The remaining housemates should then not need to pay any more at the end of the month because the variable costs will go down linearly. If the remaining housemates end up having to pay more, you know that from an economic perspective you did not correctly apportion the utility costs to fixed and variable components.
If her name is still on the agreement she still has to pay.
Reply 9
Original post by estel
Is there a reason she hasn't moved out properly so that you can look for someone else?

So she can come back when she wants...
Reply 10
Original post by scrotgrot
Until the contract finishes she should continue to pay a share corresponding to the fixed element of the utility costs. The remaining housemates should then not need to pay any more at the end of the month because the variable costs will go down linearly. If the remaining housemates end up having to pay more, you know that from an economic perspective you did not correctly apportion the utility costs to fixed and variable components.

Original post by WoodyMKC
If her name is still on the agreement she still has to pay.

Thats what I thought guys, why should we suffer a financial cost.
Original post by djkilol
Thats what I thought guys, why should we suffer a financial cost.

But you just changed it as you now say theres the possibility of her coming back so she hasnt properly moved out. She should pay her part of fixed costs, but for goodness sake just talk to her. I dont see why she should pay for any of the variable amounts of utilities becayse thats your use and not hers.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
But you just changed it as you now say theres the possibility of her coming back so she hasnt properly moved out. She should pay her part of fixed costs, but for goodness sake just talk to her. I dont see why she should pay for any of the variable amounts of utilities becayse thats your use and not hers.

Yh, will speak to her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending