Turn on thread page Beta

Any advice on my weights sessions? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've started going to the gym regular I just want to build a bit of strength and lose a little weight. I'm doing the most recommended (compound) exercises squats deadlifts and bench press 4 sets of 10 reps twice a week and then core work at the weekend (I do cycling and sprinting (running) and want to improve sprint speed too). The problem is I find it very hard to do deadlifts and squats in the same session as my legs are knackered after either of them. Do most people do them in the same session ? It's difficult to do them on seperate days with doing other sports too. I'm trying to get my diet right too but find it difficult to lose weight despite sticking to 1300 kcals a day which is what I calculated given my weight and height (118 pounds 5ft 1). Here's a vid of my current weight size doing pull ups ha, I don't have a pic this probably shows it best. https://www.dropshots.com/purple12/d...eimg' />46 Just wanted advice on the weights session and diet. I do tend to gain strength quite quickly so would 2 weight sessions a week be enough.

ReputationRep:
    I do them in the same session twice a week. What are your rep/sets ranges?

1300 kcal does seem pretty low...

The video you posted isn't working.

ReputationRep:
    What putting up for squat/bench/deadlift/press?

You can certainly do them on the same day, but you should do 5x5/4x10 squats and then only do deadlifts to one set of 5 at your maximum (I'd do the squats first tho, deads ruin your lower back but also burn out your nervous system). Doing 4x10 squats and 4x10 deadliifts as a beginner is pretty silly anyways, If your a beginner get on a 5x5 program (or 3x5 if you are lazy/don't have time for 5x5) you'll see far better strength gains and your muscle gain will also be great. Also 1300 Kcal is also silly, especially if you're really active - just focus on getting 4/5 smaller high quality meals in you a day, plenty of protein and good fats/carbs. 3 sessions a week is ideal, 2 is doable but the gains will be very slow - you can do sprinting on weights day's so you could program it like that.

Btw mirin pullup form, most boys can barely do 2 decent pull ups especially at a slower tempo with that control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    I've started going to the gym regular I just want to build a bit of strength and lose a little weight. I'm doing the most recommended (compound) exercises squats deadlifts and bench press 4 sets of 10 reps twice a week and then core work at the weekend (I do cycling and sprinting (running) and want to improve sprint speed too). The problem is I find it very hard to do deadlifts and squats in the same session as my legs are knackered after either of them. Do most people do them in the same session ? It's difficult to do them on seperate days with doing other sports too. I'm trying to get my diet right too but find it difficult to lose weight despite sticking to 1300 kcals a day which is what I calculated given my weight and height (118 pounds 5ft 1). Here's a vid of my current weight size doing pull ups ha, I don't have a pic this probably shows it best. https://www.dropshots.com/purple12/d...eimg' />46 Just wanted advice on the weights session and diet. I do tend to gain strength quite quickly so would 2 weight sessions a week be enough.
    1300 calories Isn't enough to build muscle, or have enough energy to workout which is why you are getting tired doing them in the same session. To find out how much calories you should intake, multiply your bodyweight in pounds by 20. You should be fine, but if i were you i would work bench press on another day, upper body and lower body just do not work well together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxden)
    1300 calories Isn't enough to build muscle, or have enough energy to workout which is why you are getting tired doing them in the same session. To find out how much calories you should intake, multiply your bodyweight in pounds by 20. You should be fine, but if i were you i would work bench press on another day, upper body and lower body just do not work well together.
    I'd say but OP is female but even for females 1300 is well below even cut range.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.