jessalin
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
what is the limiting factor of glycolysis? I know that answer i just want to know why its the answer. :/
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
NAD(oxidised).
jessalin
Rep:
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
NAD(oxidised).
why nad+?
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jessalin)
why nad+?
Glycolysis is an anaerobic process so its not oxygen, you need to continue to reoxidise NAD so glycolysis can continue.

It could be glucose but i doubt it as many things can be hydrolysed to glucose.

What is the answer? I think you said in your OP you know.

Temperature could even become the limiting factor as enzymes are involved vague question.
jessalin
Rep:
Glycolysis is an anaerobic process so its not oxygen, you need to continue to reoxidise NAD so glycolysis can continue.

Temperature could even become the limiting factor as enzymes are involved vague question.
NAD+ is the answer. (because google told me) i wanted to know why it was the answer.

i know that glycolysis can happen aerobic and anaerobic.
and in glycolysis it converts NAD+ to NADH and ADP+Pi to ATP but why is limiting NAD+ going to inhibit production of ATP?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

It also depends somewhat on what's considered glycolysis, since anaerobic respiration can take place even when the citric acid cycle isn't running to reoxidise NAD.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
NAD+ is the answer. (because google told me) i wanted to know why it was the answer.

and in glycolysis it converts NAD+ to NADH and ADP+Pi to ATP but why is limiting NAD+ going to inhibit production of ATP?
Limiting NAD+ availability prevents the entire process from happening and stops ATP from being produced. You can't produce ATP without first oxidising the substrate using NAD+.
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

The ATP made during glycolysis is by substrate level phosphorylation.
This occurs specifically when a dehydrogenase enzyme dehydrogenates a molecules of glucose and NAD has to be reduced. (it accepts the Hydrogen)

If there is less NAD+ then less hydrogen acceptors so the rate of dehydrogenation of glucose and substrate level phosphorylation goes down. This decreases the rate of glycolysis as it means less dehydrogenation of glucose.
jessalin
Rep:
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Limiting NAD+ availability prevents the entire process from happening and stops ATP from being produced. You can't produce ATP without first oxidising the substrate using NAD+.
so NAD+ is first converted into NADH then ADP +Pi is converted into ATP which is why NAD+ is the limiting factor.

without NAD+ ATP wlll not happen.
jessalin
Rep:
The ATP made during glycolysis is by substrate level phosphorylation.
This occurs specifically when a dehydrogenase enzyme dehydrogenates a molecules of glucose and NAD has to be reduced. (it accepts the Hydrogen)

If there is less NAD+ then less hydrogen acceptors so the rate of dehydrogenation of glucose and substrate level phosphorylation goes down. This decreases the rate of glycolysis as it means less dehydrogenation of glucose.
okay thank you! that makes a lot of sense
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
so NAD+ is first converted into NADH then ADP +Pi is converted into ATP which is why NAD+ is the limiting factor.

No the two events happen simultaneously.
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
okay thank you! that makes a lot of sense
np glad you get it now
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Roughly speaking, yes, but it's not exactly the fact that one comes before the other that causes the lack of NAD+ to stop ATP production. Almost all of the reactions that occur in glycolysis are in equilibrium, and that means that if one of the reactions can't take place, the products of the reaction before it will build up and eventually prevent the entire pathway from operating.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No the two events happen simultaneously.
They actually don't. =/
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
They actually don't. =/
They probaly don't but thats all you need for a level.
You sound like you know alot more .
Thats all I have been taught (doing A2s atm)
We don't have to talk about equilibrium at all either.
jennypaul
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I would say that the supply of glucose, availability of NAD and availability of ADP would all be limiting factors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (78)
18.89%
The paper was reasonable (154)
37.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
28.33%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
15.5%

Watched Threads