Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I hope all of you are well!
    I have a question about the new restrictions for applying for Maintenance Loan.
    Currently, when EU student apply for Maintenance Loan they require living in the UK for three years before the course start day. However, after midnight on 24 March 2016 will be assessed for eligibility based on them proving five years’ residency within the UK.
    I already applied for the Loans, therefore (hopefully) my living for three years here would be enough (I provided information about my addresses within the UK for these three years).
    So my question is... The next year I would have my 4th year living in the UK and would have to apply again for the tution fee loan and living costs loan (unless I win from lottery and I am able to pay for the living and course). Would they then require living in the UK for 5 years or 3 (as my first loan - I think as I applied before 24 March I would get the maintenance loan for just providing my address in the UK for 3 years)?
    If they give me the maintenance loan based on my three years living in the UK I would be able to start my studying, however if they require 5 years the next year when I would need to apply again I would have to cancel my studying as I would only have 4 years in the UK.

I hope that I explained well what I am asking for.

Thank you in advaince!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cwetit)
    Hi everyone! I hope all of you are well!
    I have a question about the new restrictions for applying for Maintenance Loan.
    Currently, when EU student apply for Maintenance Loan they require living in the UK for three years before the course start day. However, after midnight on 24 March 2016 will be assessed for eligibility based on them proving five years’ residency within the UK.
    I already applied for the Loans, therefore (hopefully) my living for three years here would be enough (I provided information about my addresses within the UK for these three years).
    So my question is... The next year I would have my 4th year living in the UK and would have to apply again for the tution fee loan and living costs loan (unless I win from lottery and I am able to pay for the living and course). Would they then require living in the UK for 5 years or 3 (as my first loan - I think as I applied before 24 March I would get the maintenance loan for just providing my address in the UK for 3 years)?
    If they give me the maintenance loan based on my three years living in the UK I would be able to start my studying, however if they require 5 years the next year when I would need to apply again I would have to cancel my studying as I would only have 4 years in the UK.

I hope that I explained well what I am asking for.

Thank you in advaince!
    I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer this - the change in residency requirement is something that has never happened before in this way and a lot of the details are still not sorted out. Especially because most regulations are written along the lines of "x years at the start of the course" and not "at the start of the academic year".

I would like to think that SFE would honour the requirements that applied when you first applied for finance for the course. If they don't then it's generally possible for students at UK universities to suspend their studies for a year which might allow you to then meet the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the answer!
    I know that it would be difficult to answer as this is something new and it is basically just added.
    Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone now who already got an answer on this question?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi cwetit

If you have been accepted under the regulation of having 3 years residency, this will stay in place until you have finished the course.
    You will need to reapply again next year but this will be as a continuing student, so the new rules will not apply.

Thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.