The Student Room Group

How do these factors affect the growth of plants??

Humidity
Air Temperature
Also how does pH affect cells??

Thanks!
Original post by bluemadhatter
Humidity
Air Temperature
Also how does pH affect cells??

Thanks!

Pickle

Spoiler

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Pickle

Spoiler

I don't want to be around to see her react to this… :run:
Original post by iEthan
I don't want to be around to see her react to this… :run:

:laugh: I'm a terrible person!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Pickle

Spoiler

Wow are you not the most helpful person on this forum? :h:

*ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR YOU*

Spoiler

Original post by bluemadhatter
Wow are you not the most helpful person on this forum? :h:

*ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR YOU*

Spoiler

I'm ready and waiting! :u:
humidity affects transpiration, stomatal regulation and others. Generally increased humidity leads to plant growth but will depend on the plant (e.g. plants adapted to desert conditions).
Air temp: impacts enzymatic activity, protein expression, transpiration, stomatal regulation, photosynthesis, photorespiration, etc. Plants grow well in optimal range (large variation based on plants), too low: decreased enzymatic activity, too high, wilting, dissection.

pH on cells: change it and it buggers up enzymatic activity and membrane biochemistry.
pH will slow down the enzymes of the plant cells if the soil pH is not the optimum. Some plants are adapted to acidic soils like Rhododendron, others to alkaline soil like Campanula and Clematis.So they will have different pH optima.

Temperature affects the rate of photosynthesis (light independent reactions only) as they are catalysed by enzymes, especially RuBISCo. The higher the temperature, the higher the rate of enzyme activity and thus the metabolic pathway. Up to the optimum, about 40C, After that any increase in temperature causes denaturation of enzymes and will slow growth.

Humidity will affect the rate of transpiration (water loss by evaporation from leaves). On a dry day, the rate of transpiration will be high and plants may wilt.
On a damp day, the rate of transpiration will be reduced, and plants will retain water and be able to hold up their leaves and photosythesise better, with a higher surface area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending