Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a pickle finding jobs, and when I find a job I like, I seem to fail at the first hurdle and don't get a interview or reply. does anyone know what jobs other than retail are good for a student ?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student then the first mistake your making is applying only for jobs you "like". You likely have little or no experience and it's highly unlikely you have anything special to offer. You should just be applying to every job you can, get some experience on your CV and think about careers and jobs you enjoy when you have the luxury of choice later on down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    If you're a student then the first mistake your making is applying only for jobs you "like". You likely have little or no experience and it's highly unlikely you have anything special to offer. You should just be applying to every job you can, get some experience on your CV and think about careers and jobs you enjoy when you have the luxury of choice later on down the line.
    What terrible advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega0448)
    What terrible advice.
    If it's so terrible why not offer some advice of your own rather than just slating mine?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega0448)
    What terrible advice.
    why?

OP clearly isn't getting anywhere and jobs in 'nice' shops like topshop, river island etc where you get a nice discount and people think well of them are going to be hotly contested and probably go to people with experience... when looking for a first job you need to accept starting at the bottom of the heap, which probably means working somewhere you don't really fancy, if it's only a saturday job it's not going to matter if you start looking elsewhere fairly quickly

OP I worked in telesales, sounds horrible but I really enjoyed it, you do get sworn at a lot but if you manage to land up working somewhere with a decent office culture you can have fun and you work short shifts in the early evenings and can earn more than in a shop with commission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    why?

OP clearly isn't getting anywhere and jobs in 'nice' shops like topshop, river island etc where you get a nice discount and people think well of them are going to be hotly contested and probably go to people with experience... when looking for a first job you need to accept starting at the bottom of the heap, which probably means working somewhere you don't really fancy, if it's only a saturday job it's not going to matter if you start looking elsewhere fairly quickly

OP I worked in telesales, sounds horrible but I really enjoyed it, you do get sworn at a lot but if you manage to land up working somewhere with a decent office culture you can have fun and you work short shifts in the early evenings and can earn more than in a shop with commission
    What did you sell?

And what were your worst calls?

If it's so terrible why not offer some advice of your own rather than just slating mine?

:rolleyes:
    I was thinking the same thing. Seemed ironic to say someones advice is bad and then not proceed to give advice of her own. I dont recall her mentioning slate mines tho. Theres a big one in North Wales but its a dump.

ReputationRep:
    What did you sell?

And what were your worst calls?
    windows/conservatories

I had a guy tell me to get cancer of the titties once, I've also had someone start telling me how they just got out the shower and they're naked and water is dripping off their balls, lots of 'go **** yourself and get a proper job' type calls

to be honest the abuse didn't bother me cos we'd just have a laugh at the ridiculous people we called, once my manager called one of them back and yelled at him for being so nasty (the cancer guy) - the only bad calls were the ones where they chatted to you happily for 20 minutes and seemed really interested and then at the end went 'oh but duck I'm in a council house'

(Original post by doodle_333)
    windows/conservatories

I had a guy tell me to get cancer of the titties once, I've also had someone start telling me how they just got out the shower and they're naked and water is dripping off their balls, lots of 'go **** yourself and get a proper job' type calls

to be honest the abuse didn't bother me cos we'd just have a laugh at the ridiculous people we called, once my manager called one of them back and yelled at him for being so nasty (the cancer guy) - the only bad calls were the ones where they chatted to you happily for 20 minutes and seemed really interested and then at the end went 'oh but duck I'm in a council house'

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I can put this fact to use somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Hmmmmmmm, maybe I can put this fact to use somehow.
    ha, feel free... they also won't call you back from a lot of places if you waste a lot of their time and can't buy, I know people hated us but hey, I made more money than anyone else I knew with a part time job!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.