The Student Room Group

How do you deal with exam nerves?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by urbanlocations
I have many exams coming up and would like to know how you deal with your exams. I just get really nervous and end up getting sick from the nerves before the exam.

Like my head just does not like exams -.-

I take a sh*t

Spoiler

try and sort out a pre exam routine that works for you, e.g. I always got up and went for a run, had a decent meal then walked to my exam and got there half an hour early to read through notes one last time, didn't talk to friends as they always stress you out!

work on managing your stress levels in general and work on anxiety reduction techniques (e.g. breathing exercises) when you're not in the exam so you're more confident at them when yo're in the exam
Original post by AthiaKarim
Lmaoo awww :frown: don't get upset about it!

Does it count towards your final grade? Or can you retake? :frown:

I am in my first year and it counts 30 percent to my module grade ahh!
Don't really get exam stress or anything similar.

For one I'm too laid back to get stressed out.. Most of the time anyway.

Secondly, I just make sure I learn as much of the content as possible from the module as it progresses, as opposed to just waiting until I know what I'm tested on before revising. At least for the few modules I have that have exams and where we find out what we're tested on later in the semester as opposed on the module introduction

If it's outside of uni (industry exams), then the above still applies, only difference knowing explicitly what I'm tested on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by shawtyb
i think i could definatley out do you on this front haha.
infact the moment i found out i was pregnant, i went cold turkey. that was pretty hard but at this point i was 6 1/2 stone. if i didnt fall pregnant, id probably be in a crack den :/

thats good, you just be a strong person if you have overcome a past like that, haha i weigh almost seven stone so its all good. if you ever want someone to talk to you can always pm me! :smile: x
I am in my first year and it counts 30 percent to my module grade ahh!

Oh damn! :frown: is there any chance you can redo it?
Reply 26
I have many exams coming up and would like to know how you deal with your exams. I just get really nervous and end up getting sick from the nerves before the exam.

Like my head just does not like exams -.-

I do the things John Kehoe recommends in his book 'Mind Power'. I visualise being in the exam and answering the questions calmly and quickly. I visualise getting the results and how I feel seeing the marks. Then I just assume that the result is inevitable and let it go.

I've also found just being mindful of my breathing, or describing my actions in the third person helps. For example, 'Chi is walking over to the water cooler and getting a glass of water. Now Chi is reading over the lecture notes on..." (this is something I read Ivan Lendl did during tennis matches).
(edited 8 years ago)
Be confident in your ability, ie don't gather before the exam cramming with everyone else which increases nerves. I run through all the past papers once more, and believe you can do well. I suffered with pretty bad nerves, so I did my revision in my seat in the exam hall so that it wasn't daunting anymore, and I could associate the seating position with calmness and confidence. That's the single best thing i found to eliminate nerves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh damn! :frown: is there any chance you can redo it?

erm yes and no :/

as the redo will be different and possibly harder!

LET ME HAVE YOUR BRAIN
erm yes and no :/

as the redo will be different and possibly harder!

LET ME HAVE YOUR BRAIN

**** that's annoying lol

Lol my brain won't be helpful lol 😂
**** that's annoying lol

Lol my brain won't be helpful lol 😂

I am sure it will!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending