Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newer Mercedes getting better, do you agree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it only me who noticed that when Mercedes left Daimler-Chrysler; their quality improved markedly. I guess Mercedes quality of 70s,80s is coming back. The turbo 4 cylinder A45 amg, I want it so bad . What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azhar Rana)
    Is it only me who noticed that when Mercedes left Daimler-Chrysler; their quality improved markedly. I guess Mercedes quality of 70s,80s is coming back. The turbo 4 cylinder A45 amg, I want it so bad . What do you think?
    My A200 which I bought from new is currently in the workshop for a rattling sunroof, severely rattling dashboard/airvents, radio not working, and the radar collision avoidance system applying emergency braking for no reason. The car behind nearly rear-ended me.

It's the 12th (or 13th - I've lost count) time the car has been in for repairs since I bought it from new just over two years ago. On one occasion it was at the garage for a month waiting for a spare part. Some of the dashboard fell out whilst I was driving, interfering with the steering. It made cornering rather challenging.

So if Mercedes quality has improved it must have been *really* bad before.

When I get my A200 back I'm thinking of trading it in for a reliable car, perhaps a Skoda.....

ReputationRep:
    Haven't ever driven any A classes but I own a 2 year old C250 AMG Sport Plus. Only had minor problems. I melted the DPF but that was probably my own fault. The stop-start doesn't always switch off the engine (although less frequently than my previous BMWs) There also seems to be a gap somewhere between the windscreen sealing but at motorway speeds usually I can hear some whistling, it's a bit annoying. Other than that it's been delightful to drive, even more so after a remap. I don't think I can go back to BMW (120d, X1). There's too many good things I can say about the new Mercs. The SE models do feel cheaper but it's expected. Really really tempted to go for the CLS63 as my next purchase.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I find the design language of the newest Mercs a massive turn off, and their engine range in the UK consists only of boring diesels so they're not especially attractive, but that's just me. I'd look at BMW, Audi & Jag before a Merc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trident3)
    radar collision avoidance system applying emergency braking for no reason. The car behind nearly rear-ended me.

So if Mercedes quality has improved it must have been *really* bad before.

When I get my A200 back I'm thinking of trading it in for a reliable car, perhaps a Skoda.....
    Exactly the same happened to me on my C220 - it recognised an island in the road as an obstacle and put the brakes on, nearly got smashed from behind.

Not to mention park assist leaving me diagonally in the middle of the road.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2015 A180.

It has its little imperfections, the build quality is questionable, the screen resolution is low and the abbreviation 'mic' is spelt 'Mike' on the handsfree.

Otherwise its :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i'd buy a big s-class but they don't have burr walnut now so i might have to change my mind on that one
    so i'd go for a bentley as an ex-display will go for less than the s-class
    that's money to feed the 6 ltr beast

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.