Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to study English or specifically english literature. I'm doing A levels in English literature, physics and geography and have an AS in creative writing (a pretty useless AS, I know ) and am hoping to achieve A*A*A in the first 3 subjects. However I'm worried that physics and geography aren't very relevant to English and I was wondering if this would massively damage my chances. Would continuing creative writing as a fourth subject help if this is the case? I've done quite a few English-related things outside of qualifications (work experience with city newspaper, mentoring english lessons, running a blog for writing/reviews/articles, writing competitions, wide reading etc.) will these negate any effect my other two a levels have?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My friend wanted to Medicine so was taking Biology, Chemistry, English and History at AS, then ended up changing her mind last minute to wanting to do English. She had a load of medicine experience, and two of her A-Levels are science but she's got an offer for English Literature at Cambridge so I wouldn't worry. Do what you enjoy and what you're good at, that will give you the best chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah999)
    Hi,
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to study English or specifically english literature. I'm doing A levels in English literature, physics and geography and have an AS in creative writing (a pretty useless AS, I know ) and am hoping to achieve A*A*A in the first 3 subjects. However I'm worried that physics and geography aren't very relevant to English and I was wondering if this would massively damage my chances. Would continuing creative writing as a fourth subject help if this is the case? I've done quite a few English-related things outside of qualifications (work experience with city newspaper, mentoring english lessons, running a blog for writing/reviews/articles, writing competitions, wide reading etc.) will these negate any effect my other two a levels have?
    Thanks!
    Tbh how many options can you choose from for an English degree apart from English literature or english language so you need other unrelated a levels of course.
    It won't disadvantage you at all because you are doing already doing English. Geography is an essay subject as well so it's fine.
    One of my friends recently got an offer for English at Cambridge and she does english literature, maths and art A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah999)
    Hi,
    Thanks!
    I expect you'd be fine with just the 3 A-levels alone and an irrelevant AS. Since you also have a relevant AS and supercurriculars (to use the fancy term) you're definitely in a good position.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the course website

"Modern and classical languages and History are also useful subjects (in addition to English literature which is required), though they are by no means essential, and many successful applicants have studied Mathematics and science subjects."

This would suggest that there's no advantage in the application stage but once you're there the additional essay/linguistic experience of those subjects may be of use (although I'm sure people are successful in their degrees irrespective of their other A levels). Bear in mind that you'll have a complete set of UMS scores in subjects which are highly academically demanding (unlike other candidates next year as AS scores won't be available of most ) and there's an admissions test and most colleges ask for 2 recent essays, all in addition to your personal statement which will probably be discussed in at least one interview. so there's plenty of opportunity to make your self standout and appear passionate about studying English at Cambridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ah999)
    Hi,
    Thanks!
    Don't worry your A-levels are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah999)
    Hi,
    Thanks!
    I have an offer for history and my AS subjects were history, biology, chemistry and maths (dropped chemistry before A2)- as long as you have English it shouldn't matter!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.