Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys....i don't have any sort of valid reference/referee!!! Help!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My current scenario is quite bad and it is my fault. I got into pharmacy back in 2013 through my school, the headmaster written me their reference. Then I had to withdraw from my course as I failed 2 of my exams and due to family reasons. I then went to study c.s. last year and came out again ( pls dont ask guys, its a really long story ) last month and planning on reapplying for pharmacy again, this time, i really am sure i can do well in it and be focused. But the first two times, my referees i managed to get. I emailed the same ones from my school tho 3rd time round, and I havent received a single reply from them at all, i think the reason is that they have lost all hope for me. But i REALLY DO NEED to go to uni asap because I honestly cannot stand living with my parents again doing nothing for one whole year. I emailed the pharmacist I shadowed for 1 whole week 3 years back and even called him, he had trouble remembering me until the last minute of the phone call and i could still sorta tell by the way he spoke that he isn't really that determined to write me a reference quickly or a good one, he still hasnt even accepted the email from UCAS to be my reference and its been 3 days. What should I do guys? I even messaged him on fb but his account looks like one of those accounts thats hardly been used. I feel guilty in calling him again in the workplace and he's always busy, and also I honestly cannot bring myself to call my school again, ill literally be portrayed ( even though I already am) as the idiot of the school, coming crawling back again to them.....pls advise me guys, my friends told me that I have to swallow my bride and call the school directly rather than emailing them, as well as the pharmacists workplace. Am I basically a no chance if I dont have a referee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    My current scenario is quite bad and it is my fault. I got into pharmacy back in 2013 through my school, the headmaster written me their reference. Then I had to withdraw from my course as I failed 2 of my exams and due to family reasons. I then went to study c.s. last year and came out again ( pls dont ask guys, its a really long story ) last month and planning on reapplying for pharmacy again, this time, i really am sure i can do well in it and be focused. But the first two times, my referees i managed to get. I emailed the same ones from my school tho 3rd time round, and I havent received a single reply from them at all, i think the reason is that they have lost all hope for me. But i REALLY DO NEED to go to uni asap because I honestly cannot stand living with my parents again doing nothing for one whole year. I emailed the pharmacist I shadowed for 1 whole week 3 years back and even called him, he had trouble remembering me until the last minute of the phone call and i could still sorta tell by the way he spoke that he isn't really that determined to write me a reference quickly or a good one, he still hasnt even accepted the email from UCAS to be my reference and its been 3 days. What should I do guys? I even messaged him on fb but his account looks like one of those accounts thats hardly been used. I feel guilty in calling him again in the workplace and he's always busy, and also I honestly cannot bring myself to call my school again, ill literally be portrayed ( even though I already am) as the idiot of the school, coming crawling back again to them.....pls advise me guys, my friends told me that I have to swallow my bride and call the school directly rather than emailing them, as well as the pharmacists workplace. Am I basically a no chance if I dont have a referee
    You could contact the uni you want to apply to and see if they will consider your application without a reference. It's unlikely, but in some cases they will.

Could you contact your personal tutor at either previous uni for a reference? As they've taught you most recently, they might be more willing to help.

I would give the pharmacist you've spoken to at least a week to write a reference- as you say, he's obviously busy and the more you hassle him, the more likely he is to change his mind, or just write something short to get you off his back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    I'm sorry you've had such a complicated situation! Sounds like you've had a number of annoying set backs - but I'm sure the're just that, set backs.

I think your friends are right. Ring your old school with the intention of arranging a meeting with them. If you go in there for a meeting then it will be a chance for you to explain your situation and kind of like an interview (it would make it easier for them too cos they would have a more recent impression of you to base the reference on). How many referees do you need? It's just one isn't it? If it's just one perhaps forget the about the pharmacist for now and focus on the school (but if that fails I would ask him if you could do another work experience stint with him).

It really doesn't seem like you've done anything wrong. There's no shame in going back to your school to get the reference you need to move on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    You could contact the uni you want to apply to and see if they will consider your application without a reference. It's unlikely, but in some cases they will.

Could you contact your personal tutor at either previous uni for a reference? As they've taught you most recently, they might be more willing to help.

I would give the pharmacist you've spoken to at least a week to write a reference- as you say, he's obviously busy and the more you hassle him, the more likely he is to change his mind, or just write something short to get you off his back.
    Would it not be a problem that poster didn't perform very well in the exams at the previous uni? Perhaps not, I don't know, depends on the poster's relationships with them but maybe focus on the school.

I think best to get a reference if you can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Would it not be a problem that poster didn't perform very well in the exams at the previous uni? Perhaps not, I don't know, depends on the poster's relationships with them but maybe focus on the school.

I think best to get a reference if you can!
    They should already have their previous attempts at uni listed on their application in the education section- so unis will be able to draw their own conclusions. It sounds like at the first uni poor performance was due to difficult family circumstances, so if their tutor is aware of this and willing to write a sympathetic reference, then that could really help their application.

It does depend on their relationships with the school and the unis, but if the school isn't willing/able to provide a reference this time, then the unis could be another option. Equally, having a reference that's clearly three years out of date may raise questions with admissions staff.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.