Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need advice! Want to dye my natural black hair... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never bleached or dyed my hair before and I've been wanting to dye my hair for ages but since I have natural asian black hair I'm aware it'll be difficult to lift the colour to the point where dye can be added.

I went to a hairdressers and left a test piece after a consultation but they said the colour was too warm after a lift - it looked like a red orange.

I've settled on a midnight blue colour and I want it dip dyed like this: http://yourhaircolors.com/wp-content...lack-ombre.jpg

Can anyone help me? I really want to dye my hair
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squashedbanana)
    I've never bleached or dyed my hair before and I've been wanting to dye my hair for ages but since I have natural asian black hair I'm aware it'll be difficult to lift the colour to the point where dye can be added.

I went to a hairdressers and left a test piece after a consultation but they said the colour was too warm after a lift - it looked like a red orange.

I've settled on a midnight blue colour and I want it dip dyed like this: http://yourhaircolors.com/wp-content...lack-ombre.jpg

My natural hair colour is lighter than yours sound but it's likely you d have to bleach it a couple of times to get it so it r be light enough to put blue on it.
    I had midnight blue streaks for a month a couple of years ago and it was very difficult to keep that way so do bare in mind having hair like that will take a lot of effort. It would look cool though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squashedbanana)

How thick is your hair? If the hairdressers have tested your hair it will probably be near impossible to get your hair light enough for the dye to take without absolutely ruining your hair. You definitely will have to go to a good quality salon and pay quite a bit for a good colourist to treat your hair.
    An alternative would be to go for a natural colour ombre? As it sounds like your hair was warm undertones anyway, you could maybe go for a caramel ombre which would be really pretty for summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.