Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So there's a guy who "moved in" 6 months ago as he needed somewhere to live as he started a new job in the city. He is friends with 2 of my flatmates. I'm in a 4 bed house and this guy is the 5th person. I wasn't too keen on the idea from the start, as we are all students and it's breaking our contract with the landlord and council tax rules because he's in employment and the rest of us are students.Anyway the agreement was he would sleep on a fold down bed in one of the friends rooms temporary and would give us each £100 for it. It was only meant to be a month at most. But on the nights I stay at my girlfriend he sleeps in my bed. He's a smoker and the sheets stink of smoke and his aftershave. He's now staying till the lease ends!!!! He brought home a girl one night and since he doesn't have a bed he did it on th couch! Everyone apart from me is quite happy he's there as he's giving everyone £100. But if I kick up a fuss - they'll be like but your not sleeping in the bed and he's giving you £100. I had the council at the door the other day about the HMO licence - and was asking who lived at the property and the whole thing is getting really uncomfortable.
    He's apparently not sleeping on my bed now but I think that's lies. Cause I went to my room and the sheets were freshly washed. I know the sheets were washed but it's the fact he's in my room!!!!

ReputationRep:
    only problem is that he's sleeping in your bed, tell him not to sleep in your bed and if he doesn't comply, than tell someone

ReputationRep:
    Threaten to inform the landlord. That'll have your flatmates ready to kick him out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    only problem is that he's sleeping in your bed, tell him not to sleep in your bed and if he doesn't comply, than tell someone
    He's apparently not now... But I have my doubts... All of my flat mates are denying he is. Don't know who to turn to. Feel it's 4 against 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
    Threaten to inform the landlord. That'll have your flatmates ready to kick him out.
    I have and they said that I can't as we will get in the **** for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Fill the mattress with dozens of whoopy cushions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asoftersin)
    He's apparently not now... But I have my doubts... All of my flat mates are denying he is. Don't know who to turn to. Feel it's 4 against 1
    I'm guessing your girlfriend lives pretty close. You should "Forget" something and go back around midnight to get it... Then you'll know..
    Does your door not have a lock?!

ReputationRep:
    ask your landlord to put a lock on your door (or offer to to speed things up), I thought it was standard to be able to lock your bedroom in a houseshare

I don't think you'll get into trouble yourself if you tell the landlord but your flatmates will hate you so you need to decide what is worse, the guy living there or your flatmates hating you

could you have a flat meeting and set more ground rules, having sex on your sofa and bringing people back isn't really okay... and is he paying £100 a month or altogether? if it's a month he should be able to afford his own place, if it's altogether you're getting really ripped off given what you're paying to live there and the fact he's presumably increasing the bills

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.