Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying Abroad at Plovdiv Medical University (Dentistry 2016 entry) Watch

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rumana101;64162517]
    (Original post by Cooliomed)

True I guess, also there was no mention of costs for the service they claim to offer at the open event and when asked Aris did not seem to have a direct answer. In terms of grades there is some sort of bribery involved where if a student achieves a lower grade then SME pay the university extra to take on these students. From what Ive gathered so far I think both the university and sme are untrustworthy, its a shame really as dentistry is my only passion and sme seems to sell false promises to many students. But, there are students who have gone through this process and gained the degree in which they are fully entitled to work in the UK, as the majority of universities in Bulgaria are GDC accredited. Do you know of any other companies that provide a similar service which is more reliable?
    Sent you a PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumana101)

True I guess, also there was no mention of costs for the service they claim to offer at the open event and when asked Aris did not seem to have a direct answer. In terms of grades there is some sort of bribery involved where if a student achieves a lower grade then SME pay the university extra to take on these students. From what Ive gathered so far I think both the university and sme are untrustworthy, its a shame really as dentistry is my only passion and sme seems to sell false promises to many students. But, there are students who have gone through this process and gained the degree in which they are fully entitled to work in the UK, as the majority of universities in Bulgaria are GDC accredited. Do you know of any other companies that provide a similar service which is more reliable?
    The GDC do not accredit any non-UK programme it is just they are recognised in the UK!

And there are no UK grads from Bulgaria working in the UK as the dentistry programmes there (in English) are not yet more than 3-4 years old.

Although I am an aspiring medic I recommend medical doorway who also place dental students and are free bar small entrance exam fees for the unis that have them.

ReputationRep:

Also be careful is PMs. This is an anonymous forum!!!! Could be anyone even another agent charging fees!

ReputationRep:
    The GDC do not accredit any non-UK programme it is just they are recognised in the UK!

And there are no UK grads from Bulgaria working in the UK as the dentistry programmes there (in English) are not yet more than 3-4 years old.

Although I am an aspiring medic I recommend medical doorway who also place dental students and are free bar small entrance exam fees for the unis that have them.
    wow, another false claim sme seem to publish on their website, can the GDC not do anything about this as they are providing people with inaccurate information on accredited universities.

Thanks a lot i'll have a look and see what they can provide.

ReputationRep:
    wow, another false claim sme seem to publish on their website, can the GDC not do anything about this as they are providing people with inaccurate information on accredited universities.

Thanks a lot i'll have a look and see what they can provide.
    The GDC regulate dentists not dodgy agents who run off back to Greece with your money!

ReputationRep:
    Thats such a bloody lie. Ive been to the SME open day and even though students kept asking for loans they said NO BANKS GIVE LOANS. That was all they said. So dont be fooled into thinking you can get a loan. I know a turkish girl who paid £500 to SME as a deposit thinking she could get a loan but they told her its very hard and that its highly unlikely that you can get one. Sorry to ruin your hopes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuzaifahN)
    Thats such a bloody lie. Ive been to the SME open day and even though students kept asking for loans they said NO BANKS GIVE LOANS. That was all they said. So dont be fooled into thinking you can get a loan. I know a turkish girl who paid £500 to SME as a deposit thinking she could get a loan but they told her its very hard and that its highly unlikely that you can get one. Sorry to ruin your hopes.
    If she was Turkish then she was never ever eligible for a loan anyway as it is/was just for EU students.

ReputationRep:
    No shes got a British passport so shes British Turkish. But its true what you guys are saying SME do look scammy but Plovdiv seems legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuzaifahN)
    No shes got a British passport so shes British Turkish. But its true what you guys are saying SME do look scammy but Plovdiv seems legit.
    Plovdiv is not legit! Why would they need to buy awards if they were?

ReputationRep:
    Made my mind up. Will be hopefully applying to Marasyk University in Czech Republic as Plovdiv have only been doing dentistry 3-4 years and don't have any graduates working here. Rather know that I'll more likely have a job when I get back and rather pay the extra for a uni with better facilities and that has been doing it for ages.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=You5uf;64162649]

Sent you a PM
    Can you let me know what other agencies are reliable! I am so lost!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PsychPrincess;65381373]
    (Original post by You5uf)

Can you let me know what other agencies are reliable! I am so lost!
    There honesty isn't that many, you could go directly through the uni I guess, but there's sme, interHECS, tutelage. Personally, I think the agencies are overpriced for what they offer but the one where a lot of uk students go through is sme.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rumana101;65387083]
    (Original post by PsychPrincess)

There honesty isn't that many, you could go directly through the uni I guess, but there's sme, interHECS, tutelage. Personally, I think the agencies are overpriced for what they offer but the one where a lot of uk students go through is sme.
    Do you know what places may offer a student loan or how to get one, or IF student loans even exist!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PsychPrincess;65387093]

Do you know what places may offer a student loan or how to get one, or IF student loans even exist!
    They used to a few years back, I went to the SME open event and they were saying that their is a problem with the banks and they don't really offer loans anymore, so to get one seems impossible. On many of their websites they claim to offer loans 'from local affiliate institutions' don't think this is the case anymore and if you were to the interests rates would be sky high. Most people I've talked to who study their advised not to take one.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rumana101;65387195]

They used to a few years back, I went to the SME open event and they were saying that their is a problem with the banks and they don't really offer loans anymore, so to get one seems impossible. On many of their websites they claim to offer loans 'from local affiliate institutions' don't think this is the case anymore and if you were to the interests rates would be sky high. Most people I've talked to who study their advised not to take one.
    Any one who take a loan in Bulgaria (even if they are available) really needs a psychiatric assessment. What if you get no job in six years time? This is not like the uK student loan and do you fancy Bulgarian debt collectors coming after you????

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rumana101;65387195]

So there is no way I can apply for a loan anywhere? Not even by contacting banks?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PsychPrincess;65387319]

So there is no way I can apply for a loan anywhere? Not even by contacting banks?
    I doubt you'll get one, and your taking a big risk if you do.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Cooliomed;65387281]

Any one who take a loan in Bulgaria (even if they are available) really needs a psychiatric assessment. What if you get no job in six years time? This is not like the uK student loan and do you fancy Bulgarian debt collectors coming after you????
    Lmao you seem to think you know my financial situation... my father could pay for this if he wanted but he doesn't... so I am looking at last resorts. Lets say I got a loan with a huge interest rate for a whole 6 years got a degree and DIDN'T get a job, my dad would still be able to pay it back all in one go after my degree. My mental stability and ability to logically reason is perfectly fine lmao thanks for the concern x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PsychPrincess;65387505]

Lmao you seem to think you know my financial situation... my father could pay for this if he wanted but he doesn't... so I am looking at last resorts. Lets say I got a loan with a huge interest rate for a whole 6 years got a degree and DIDN'T get a job, my dad would still be able to pay it back all in one go after my degree. My mental stability and ability to logically reason is perfectly fine lmao thanks for the concern x
    So if you pay it back at the end of six years you are paying the capital and also the interest. Just pay upfront.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Cooliomed;65387593]

So if you pay it back at the end of six years you are paying the capital and also the interest. Just pay upfront.
    Yeah try telling him that, you're acting like it's MY money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.