Turn on thread page Beta

International Postgrad - Flatshare or Student Halls? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm a Canadian who will be heading off to do my postgrad in London this fall, and I'm currently debating between finding my own spot in a flat-share or just going with student accommodation through the uni.

    Seems as though the student accommodation is actually more expensive (as all of my options are through private third-parties like Urbanest and Unite) and the buildings are not necessarily "postgraduate only". I'm looking for something social, but I'm not sure if I feel like heading back to student residence. The only thing is I'm not sure how difficult it will be to sort out my own accommodation in September if I opt-out of residence halls.

    Anyone else considering flat-sharing instead? Any recommendations from fellow postgrads?

    Hi mate, the third party student built places tend to be a little quieter than uni halls, and there is the option of getting a studio/1 bed apartment in those buildings. I'm starting a masters this sept and am going into the new unite building in Portsmouth.

    The rental market in London is extortionate (I've lived there for the past 4 years), but still it is very easy to process. Estate agents are used to people coming along with no experience of renting by themselves or as a group. Your best bet is to speak to the estate agents that specialise in student properties and see what they can offer you, if that doesn't provide you with anything thatn the newer unite buildings are good I hear.

    I did a flat-share for my undergrad and whilst they were lovely people for the most part I realised I need more space to myself so went into a studio.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.