Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I have to do to get on the right track to becoming a teacher?
    I'm doing an undergraduate criminology degree atm and in my first year. I've only just decided that I'd like to become a teacher recently.
    Only problem is I'd like to teach secondary and English if possible.
    Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get the qualifications for this?
    I've tried asking the uni but they haven't been much help. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieSheree)
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I have to do to get on the right track to becoming a teacher?
    I'm doing an undergraduate criminology degree atm and in my first year. I've only just decided that I'd like to become a teacher recently.
    i also want to become a teacher

ReputationRep:
    But yeah try KUDOS website for the qualification...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i also want to become a teacher
    ooh, what are you wanting to teach? and do you know how to go about qualifying for the job?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You d need a degree that's 50% English and then do a secondary pgce I think.

ReputationRep:
    ooh, what are you wanting to teach? and do you know how to go about qualifying for the job?
    i am not into the jobs yet! i am doing AS atm so not yet but i find KUDOS website very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i am not into the jobs yet! i am doing AS atm so not yet but i find KUDOS website very helpful
    okay, thank you! I will have a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You d need a degree that's 50% English and then do a secondary pgce I think.
    ah right okay, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Pcge for secondary English are quite competitive too to get into, and most the time they require a 2.2-2.1 in English.

If you really want to do it, you've got two options really.
    talk to your university about swapping to English in your second year. (I know some uni courses allow this as long as you pass the first year) and then complete a degree in English, as first year doesn't count for much anyway.

Or contact prospective universities about their Pcge English secondary courses and ask them if they would consider someone without the a solid qualification in language or literature. If they say yes, sign up to some TA agencies, (they're everywhere) and do some temp work in schools whilst your not at lectures (you get paid too) or volunteer at a school in an English department to get some work experience to support your Pcge application!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.