Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! I have no idea what to do! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a long and complicated dilemma so I hope you're comfy.

I'm interested in being a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, I didn't realise this until I had chosen my A-Levels and I was too far into my first year to change them (I need to do a science in order to do a psychology degree) So, I was like 'Stuff it, I'll get an apprenticeship and do the A-Levels I want to do later with the money I earned from the apprenticeship'. This would also mean that I get to move back to my hometown, where all my family live and where I actually have a life, where as in Sixth Form, I hate the school, hate the subjects I've taken, hate the people and have one friend and also live with my mum who I don't have much of a relationship with.

Due to the distance between my current town and my hometown, going to interviews got really expensive (I wasn't going to leave until I definitely had one), so my training provider and I thought it was best to drop out and move back to my hometown. My Head of Sixth Form has my leaving form ready to pick up tomorrow.

Buuuutttt as much as I'm a 'I'll-take-whatever-job-I-can-don't-care-about-pay' kinda person, there's still that niggle in the back of my head to stay and finish the A-Levels, as much as I hate them.

Is it possible to enrol with Open Study College or whatever it's called, start the psychology A-Level now, and take a gap year so I can finish the A-Level and THEN apply for university? I'm so confused and frustrated I just need someone to tell me what to do!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can't say I know what you are going through but I hope I can help a little first off you need to figure out what you want, baring in mind you are not under a time limit, take a step back and take a deep breath, now if I was in your situation I would finish of the A level, purely because it would be a waste not to, get the qualifications and you are then qualified in other areas so if this whole thing doesn't suit you, you always have a fallback plan. Second off University is not going anywhere, you can always apply later on after getting the A levels then doing the apprenticeship, so just stop and think if you carry on and get these A level qualifications you look like a better candidate when applying for a job in the long run, but at the end of the day it's all down to what you want, what you feel will benefit you the most.
    Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chanelelel)

I'm interested in being a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, I didn't realise this until I had chosen my A-Levels and I was too far into my first year to change them (I need to do a science in order to do a psychology degree) So, I was like 'Stuff it, I'll get an apprenticeship and do the A-Levels I want to do later with the money I earned from the apprenticeship'. This would also mean that I get to move back to my hometown, where all my family live and where I actually have a life, where as in Sixth Form, I hate the school, hate the subjects I've taken, hate the people and have one friend and also live with my mum who I don't have much of a relationship with.

Due to the distance between my current town and my hometown, going to interviews got really expensive (I wasn't going to leave until I definitely had one), so my training provider and I thought it was best to drop out and move back to my hometown. My Head of Sixth Form has my leaving form ready to pick up tomorrow.

Buuuutttt as much as I'm a 'I'll-take-whatever-job-I-can-don't-care-about-pay' kinda person, there's still that niggle in the back of my head to stay and finish the A-Levels, as much as I hate them.

Is it possible to enrol with Open Study College or whatever it's called, start the psychology A-Level now, and take a gap year so I can finish the A-Level and THEN apply for university? I'm so confused and frustrated I just need someone to tell me what to do!
    Have you looked into https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...g-practitioner This is the most common route into training to offer CBT

You don't need A levels to be accepted onto a trainee PWP position. There are pathways for graduates and pathways for people without degrees who have the academic ability to complete the course. You just need experience and aptitude.

If you take a degree in Psychology then you'd likely end up in a similar trainee job/course after graduating.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/37..._ref=914094077 is an example advert for the trainee PWP role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Dolphin)
    Hi, I can't say I know what you are going through but I hope I can help a little first off you need to figure out what you want, baring in mind you are not under a time limit, take a step back and take a deep breath, now if I was in your situation I would finish of the A level, purely because it would be a waste not to, get the qualifications and you are then qualified in other areas so if this whole thing doesn't suit you, you always have a fallback plan. Second off University is not going anywhere, you can always apply later on after getting the A levels then doing the apprenticeship, so just stop and think if you carry on and get these A level qualifications you look like a better candidate when applying for a job in the long run, but at the end of the day it's all down to what you want, what you feel will benefit you the most.
    Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! This really helped, my head is a lot clearer now, aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you looked into https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...g-practitioner This is the most common route into training to offer CBT

You don't need A levels to be accepted onto a trainee PWP position. There are pathways for graduates and pathways for people without degrees who have the academic ability to complete the course. You just need experience and aptitude.

If you take a degree in Psychology then you'd likely end up in a similar trainee job/course after graduating.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/37..._ref=914094077 is an example advert for the trainee PWP role.
    Oh wow thank you, I had no idea about this. I'm definitely going to read up on it. Thanks again!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Chanelelel)

I only know of the Open University, so I'm afraid I can't really help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.