Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got allocated to Collingwood, but I really, really wanted self-catered as I'm an international student and I'm pretty sure it would be a whole lot more comfortable for me to pick and make my own meals, especially because I have a myriad of food allergies!
    But I've read in so many places that Jo Butler is "Durham's Joke College" or that it's too isolated and people end up having a miserable time, which has got me really really worried.
    Please give in your inputs about the two colleges so that it makes it easier for me to pick! (I know I've already been allocated to Collingwood, but I was hoping they'd be willing to change it to self catered if I provide them with a medical certificate of my food allergies).
    Thanks in advance! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Durham student and honestly I can tell you that it doesn't really make a difference which college you go to. Collingwood and Butler are both hill colleges, meaning they're essentially on the same road, and Butler is a three minute walk just past Colingwood. The only reason people take the piss a little are because its the new of the colleges, but its a lovely place. The nightlife will be the same, everyone goes to the same few clubs in Durham so you really won't miss out at all. Both of them are not in the city centre, but if you wanted one more central I believe that Cuthberts has the option of being self catered. Feel free to ask me any questions you've got.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to hear that hahah I was so worried because so many threads keep saying so much crap about butler. I sent in my medical reports and they changed my college to jobo so I'm pretty relieved to hear this. Thanks so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.