Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of faults that can fail you on your test, some of which are considered more serious than others. I am interested in how you view a serious fault. Do you just consider it to be a reason to fail you on the test or do you consider the likely effects of that fault if you weren't on your test i.e., if you were out on your own? Is there any connection in your mind between the test and life on the roads after the test? This is something that, as an instructor, I am interested in and your replies would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    There are a lot of faults that can fail you on your test, some of which are considered more serious than others. I am interested in how you view a serious fault. Do you just consider it to be a reason to fail you on the test or do you consider the likely effects of that fault if you weren't on your test i.e., if you were out on your own? Is there any connection in your mind between the test and life on the roads after the test? This is something that, as an instructor, I am interested in and your replies would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.
    Having recently completed (and failed) my first mock test, it alarmed me how easy it was to make a serious mistake. Before I'd even left the test centre where my instructor took me to begin the mock, I'd failed.

It's interesting how some people do tend to view it as "not that big of a deal," because it didn't impact on someone right there and then, but don't see the potential ramifications had someone else been there, or whatever.

I have yet to sit an official driving test, but the way I view it, the examiner has a small window of time to analyse how you are as a driver as a whole, and to decide if you are safe to be on the roads alone.

It did surprise me how quickly and how easily I slipped into making a serious fault, and failed my mock. Even though a part of me felt it was "harsh" because my action had not impeded or harmed anyone, I do and did understand that it could have had someone else been there.

Even though these serious faults may well seem trivial, they aren't. The examiner, I think, has to consider what could have happened had the learner been on their own, or had someone else been there to be harmed/obstructed. So, I suppose (and I apologise if it doesn't make sense or I'm rambling as I often do) it's about looking at the bigger picture. The bigger picture is that if you're making these serious errors on your test, chances are, you will make them driving alone, and thus, are not safe to drive. It does not matter if the serious fault amounted to anything on the test.

They're judging on a very short space of time how safe and how competent you are at driving.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.