Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade236)
    I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:
    I took AS level biology and came out with an E before i went on to do an BTEC in animal management... i know its not the same but ive been offered places. I would say that if you are to consider applying you need several weeks of work experience at a vet practise, then phone the admissions of your chosen universities to find out wether they wluld consider you or not hope this helps...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade236)
    Hey . I would try and do a science A level just it comes in useful for any degree or job. You can sit as an external student or do another year perhaps ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have a place at Kingston Maurward for Veterinary Nursing for this year. I have only 5 GCSES including the C's in Maths, English Language and Science. I did my A-Levels in random subjects and got B-C-D in Tourism, Sociology and Textiles (so nothing relevant really), I am doing a Level 3 Animal Management at the moment and I have been working at a veterinary practice for a year on reception! I was never amazing in science and did not get those grades but I think it counts about what experience you have in the field with different animals as my friend who has a place does not have all those grades too!

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm in year 13 now and I have been studying BTEC Level 3 Applied Science for 2 years and I have a place at Askham Bryan York for Vet Nursing this September. I have all of my GCSE's over C grade and some of which are B's, I even had to resit my Maths twice to get a C grade and i still got a course place. Please don't worry about your grades but just keep focusing on your work, dont over think it aha. The experience is vital though but for me I am still looking for it aha.

Hope all goes well for you x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.