Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the main differences between Firm and Insurance choices? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have two universities in mind, however one is offering me a lower grade boundary providing at make it my firm choice. My other choice would keep its grade boundary.
    This made me think, is there a difference between making one your firm choice and another your insurance? For example, could I make the first university my firm choice to get the lower grade boundary but also go to my insurance choice instead? Or do you have to go to your firm choice instead of insurance providing you get the grades? What are the main drawbacks of having a university as your insurance choice?

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manyula)
    I have two universities in mind, however one is offering me a lower grade boundary providing at make it my firm choice. My other choice would keep its grade boundary.
    This made me think, is there a difference between making one your firm choice and another your insurance? For example, could I make the first university my firm choice to get the lower grade boundary but also go to my insurance choice instead? Or do you have to go to your firm choice instead of insurance providing you get the grades? What are the main drawbacks of having a university as your insurance choice?

Thanks for the help!
    When you get your results, if you meet your firm offer, your insurance choice disappears. You don't get to pick between both options on results day. If you miss your firm offer, your firm still gets a sort of first refusal on you. If your firm rejects you, but you've met your insurance offer, you automatically go there. If you miss your insurance offer as well, your insurance can still decide to accept you, or they can then reject you.

Your firm choice should be the university you most want to go to, and it's usual for your insurance to be the choice with lower grades. Your insurance choice is a back up plan in case you don't get into your firm.

On results day, if you wanted to switch between your firm and insurance choices, you'd have to ask your firm to release you and apply to your insurance choice via clearing (assuming they have spaces). This is pretty risky, because it can take a while to get released on results day, and your insurance choice might fill their course- meaning you're left with nothing.

Offering lower grades if you make the uni your firm choice is pretty much a marketing strategy from the uni. They think you're a strong candidate and they want to persuade you to firm them. Try not to be swayed by this- provided both offers are achievable, put the uni YOU prefer as your firm.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Manyula)

Thanks for the help!
    If you meet the Firm offer that's where you go. Don't pick an offer because they want to drop the boundary. Pick the course/uni you prefer.

The vast majority of people end up at their Firm.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, thanks a lot for the info. You've been a massive help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.