Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worried about money watch

Announcements

I have been benefits for a very long time, and it is only recently I have entered into higher education again. I graduated with my 1st degree in 2009; and I have not had a job in ten years. The last volunteering I did was about 4 years ago

My benefits are going to come to an end most likely, with the tougher new regime on DLA/PIP.

My worry is that I am not going to get a part time job because of my very outdated and limited experience,; which in turn means that I dont get a job, which of course; fuels the catch-22 of me not being able to secure relevant experience!

I am very badly worried, and as soon as my benefits are stopped, I will be left with £80 a month to feed myself, for clothes, travelling etc (after I have paid off bills, rent, tuition fees etc).

I don't know what to do
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Helplines
    • Disabled Students Helpline – 0800 328 5050
    • Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) – 0808 800 0082
    • Personal Budgets Help Line – 0300 555 1525
    • Member Organisations Welfare Rights Advice Service – 020 7250 8184
    You should also contact your uni to see what bursaries/ assistance they might be able to provide.
    Your uni should also have a disability rights officer.
    You could also go to CAB so they cna do a full benefits check for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been benefits for a very long time, and it is only recently I have entered into higher education again. I graduated with my 1st degree in 2009; and I have not had a job in ten years. The last volunteering I did was about 4 years ago

My benefits are going to come to an end most likely, with the tougher new regime on DLA/PIP.

My worry is that I am not going to get a part time job because of my very outdated and limited experience,; which in turn means that I dont get a job, which of course; fuels the catch-22 of me not being able to secure relevant experience!

I am very badly worried, and as soon as my benefits are stopped, I will be left with £80 a month to feed myself, for clothes, travelling etc (after I have paid off bills, rent, tuition fees etc).

I don't know what to do
    Try and get some volunteer work as soon as possible. It is a good way to demonstrate skills and you're less likely to get turned down from that than from a proper job.

ReputationRep:
    yes, try and volunteer asap

also, start small on the job front, you're a lot more likely to get hired with limited experience for 5 hours on a saturday at a small shop earning minimum wage than a full time job somewhere desirable... so try and apply asap for some small hours type jobs, this will also let you work your way up to longer hours/a better company

there are definitely places who will hire someone with little experience, they just aren't always the nicest places to work!

(Original post by doodle_333)
    yes, try and volunteer asap

also, start small on the job front, you're a lot more likely to get hired with limited experience for 5 hours on a saturday at a small shop earning minimum wage than a full time job somewhere desirable... so try and apply asap for some small hours type jobs, this will also let you work your way up to longer hours/a better company

there are definitely places who will hire someone with little experience, they just aren't always the nicest places to work!
    Don't care if its minimum wage: a wage is a wage, money is money! This is not about pride its about survival

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.