Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hyaa,

I am applying for Vet Nursing at Askham Bryan and i have a conditional offer. I suggest you get your work experience in early if you do decide to go for this sort of course, I am struggling to find available places for experience so its quite vital to get it done. Also, im not doing any A-Levels, just BTEC's (because i prefer them lol) and im in year 13. Personally i dont think i can be smart enough for some of the modules but honestly you can do it if you put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaffaNeko)
    Hyaa,

I am applying for Vet Nursing at Askham Bryan and i have a conditional offer. I suggest you get your work experience in early if you do decide to go for this sort of course, I am struggling to find available places for experience so its quite vital to get it done. Also, im not doing any A-Levels, just BTEC's (because i prefer them lol) and im in year 13. Personally i dont think i can be smart enough for some of the modules but honestly you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    Thank you so much for sharing, this definitely makes me more hopeful, I've already got work experience lined up and hopefully ready to go very soon and don't worry, I like to believe that you do better in things your interested in (which is why I'm probably not doing so good at health and social it's so boring omg but I'm still trying to get good grades lol) so I believe you'll do very well.
    I've got such a long list of university's lined up so hopefully I'll get at least one offer; and also congrats on getting an offer from Askham Bryan! I hope you enjoy it there and good luck for the future~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade236)
    I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:
    If a university is asking for a specific A-level in order to get on a course, they aren't doing it just to make people's lives difficult. They'll assume a certain level of knowledge from the start which you probably won't have. It's different for people doing different qualifications (E.G. BTECs, Scottish Highers) as they'll have different requirements for these students.

If you're able to get a lot of work experience with a vet, this might help, but check with the unis/colleges you're interested in first.

Veterinary nursing courses often involve a lot of biology/science content, such as learning anatomy and physiology. If this isn't something you especially enjoy, then this might not be the route for you.

There did used to be a non-degree based route into veterinary nursing. I don't know if this still exists, but it might be something to look into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade236)
    Hiya, I was in a very similar position to you when I was in year 12. My advice would be to contact the universities directly before you submit an application - Last year I was told by Harper Adams and Hartpury that I would not be accepted unless I met the entry requirements stated on their website, (A level biology or btec/diploma type thing in a relevant science course as well as work experience). I'm now doing fast-track (as & a2 in one year) biology from home so that I can start vet nursing in September (hopefully!). I think there are also some Higher Education access diplomas that you can do for vet nursing, but all the suitable ones I could find took longer to complete than I would have liked. I also did take a look at going into it through the apprenticeship/diploma route but found it difficult to find a practice who would take on someone who had no 'background training'.

Hope this all makes sense - best of luck with everything!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.