Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    Am wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on becoming a Weapons Systems Operator for the RAF. Im about to graduate with a 2:1 in Marketing and realize thats not really for me!

I want to be a WSO and hear you can get streamed into either Rotary, Fixed Wing or electronic.

Im pretty set on the rotary and not much keen on the others. Does anyone know if you can choose or if you get streamed into on of the others eventually move into your ideal choice?

Cheers in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_Pact2013)
    Hi All,
    Am wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on becoming a Weapons Systems Operator for the RAF. Im about to graduate with a 2:1 in Marketing and realize thats not really for me!

I want to be a WSO and hear you can get streamed into either Rotary, Fixed Wing or electronic.

Im pretty set on the rotary and not much keen on the others. Does anyone know if you can choose or if you get streamed into on of the others eventually move into your ideal choice?

Cheers in advance
    Hi T_Pact2013

There is lots of information about becoming a WSOp (Not WSO) on the RAF careers website, however to address you specific questions: you can express a preference of which sort of WSOp you would like to become, however you'll be streamed at the end of your WSOp Generic course according to how well you do in the various modules. What puts you off being a crewman on fixed wing as opposed to rotary?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Schleigg,

thanks for the reply,

Id just prefer to be rotary as ive read alot on being a crewman on a Chinook and would ideally like to be part of that team as fascinated by rotary aircraft. In the fixed wing ive seen that you could end up being the person loading the Hercules and traveling long distances, don't get me wrong its an impressive bit of kit but being upon a Seaking or Griffin excites me more - especially being part of a quick response team getting injured service men from the front line, I think it would be more rewarding. Would you a agree or are you a fixed wing sort of guy?

Ive already been to the presentation and have my aptitude tests next month, would this be where I find out which part I would be streamed to ? or is that further down the line.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi Schleigg,

thanks for the reply,

Id just prefer to be rotary as ive read alot on being a crewman on a Chinook and would ideally like to be part of that team as fascinated by rotary aircraft. In the fixed wing ive seen that you could end up being the person loading the Hercules and traveling long distances, don't get me wrong its an impressive bit of kit but being upon a Seaking or Griffin excites me more - especially being part of a quick response team getting injured service men from the front line, I think it would be more rewarding. Would you a agree or are you a fixed wing sort of guy?

Ive already been to the presentation and have my aptitude tests next month, would this be where I find out which part I would be streamed to ? or is that further down the line.

Thanks again

Hi mate,

In all honesty, most candidates applying for WSOp tend to want to go rotary, however never be put off by fixed-wing.
    The opportunities got both are varied and all offer their benefits.
    There are plenty of WSOp threads on TSR Armed Forces, I for one made one or two. Just google 'WSOp The student room'.

Again, there are plenty of CBAT threads around, just google it or search for it in the search tab at the top of the forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI,

Yh I thought so It does look the best!! One more question if you dont mind, say if I do get through and got 'streamed' to the fixed wing, is the opportunity to move to rotary either straight away or in a couple years? Im struggling to find any information on movement within the WSOp role.

Cheers,

ReputationRep:
    HI,

Yh I thought so It does look the best!! One more question if you dont mind, say if I do get through and got 'streamed' to the fixed wing, is the opportunity to move to rotary either straight away or in a couple years? Im struggling to find any information on movement within the WSOp role.

Cheers,
    On that, I couldn't comment as I'm not a WSOp or for that fact, in the RAF. I'm sure someone in the know could comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI,

Cheers,
    It's highly unlikely you would move platform at all in the current climate. I wouldn't join with the idea that you can always end up on for example Chinook, as you may spend your career in the back of a RivetJoint.

ReputationRep:
    Why not go for the Royal Navy / Fleet Air Arm as a DE Air crewman (a role they only opened up for DE in the last few years)?.
    With the recent hand over of Merlins from the RAF to the RN, they seem to be seeking Air crewman at the moment.

It's the role I'm currently half way through the process for. So feel free to ask any Q's in regards to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear oh dear, I could discuss the WSOp role in depth, but to be honest T-Pac I think you need to go away, do some serious research about the jobs and aircraft (current and future) and come back with some better questions.

Your current understanding (and lack) of the different WSOp roles and aircraft they fly in, would be ripped apart at OASC.

I'm beginning to understand why the management want NCA to start off at Cpl rank with no flying / retention / whatever you want to call it, pay for about 6 years. I wouldn't do it under those terms, but I guess 'they' rely on young wannabes having no knowledge but a lot of enthusiasm.

Crack on mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikaruss)
    Oh dear oh dear, I could discuss the WSOp role in depth, but to be honest T-Pac I think you need to go away, do some serious research about the jobs and aircraft (current and future) and come back with some better questions.

Your current understanding (and lack) of the different WSOp roles and aircraft they fly in, would be ripped apart at OASC.

I'm beginning to understand why the management want NCA to start off at Cpl rank with no flying / retention / whatever you want to call it, pay for about 6 years. I wouldn't do it under those terms, but I guess 'they' rely on young wannabes having no knowledge but a lot of enthusiasm.

Crack on mate.
    Ikaruss,

I wouldn't take the people asking questions on this forum as a indicator to the calibre of personnel passing OASC and subsequently graduating from NCAITC. I know plenty of DE WSOp's, the vast majority in my opinion are an asset to their role.

I do agree that until passing their OCU they should hold acting rank of Sgt, that's the way it works for the DE ATC. Until you are actually useful to the service you are easy to get rid of and paid less. However the WSOp candidates becoming Substantive in the rank of Sgt at Cranwell before they even start training in whichever stream. That seems foolish on behalf of the RAF, however as you know it's always an exception to the rules for aircrew!

AT

ReputationRep:
    Hi AT, totally agree that the rank structure should remain 'as is', and yes, you're right that the calibre of NCA is generally high (although like every role, there are exceptions). But, even before I left, they were talking about aligning ab initio NCA with junior aircrew counterparts in the Army and RN. I can see a big push towards that in the near future, it'll keep the payroll burden lower and help to extend the rank gradient. I'm convinced a lot of senior officers dislike intensely being harangued by NCA, esp FS and MACr ranks. What better way to put whipper-snappers in their place than by starting them off as compliant Corporals!

I can't comment on other UK fleets, but I saw junior backenders (JT and Cpl equivalents) on USN P3 Sqns being treated like bits of dirt from the ghetto. Compare that with the Nimrod AEOp (WSOp) with a minimum rank of Sgt, who had an equal voice during the mission and felt confident that his / her judgement calls would be listened to and acted upon. Maybe that's why we always beat the Cousins hands down in all aspects of the maritime game.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.