Turn on thread page Beta

Which baked products stay fresh the longest? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking part in a Charity bake sale next Wednesday. Due to uni lectures I want to bake at the weekend. Which will stay fresh the best until Wednesday if baking on Sunday; cupcakes, banana bread, cookies, hot cross buns, muffins, flapjack, any other suggestions to items which would stay fresh, I would be very grateful!

ReputationRep:
    PFF that's a bit of a stretch, your worry isn't in which foods can stay fresh, but how you store them... If you keep them wrapped in cling film in plastic tubs in a fridge then you will just just barely have the good freshness by Wednesday.

I used to work in a cupcake store, The maximum time we allow from leaving the oven to arriving on a shop is 36 hours and the cakes are refrigerated the whole time they are being transported and waiting to leave the bakery. We would allow another 24 hours for cakes to be given out as free samples and they still tasted good so If you don't get sloppy your bake sale should be fine. Also If your looking for more foods to bake then:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    PFF that's a bit of a stretch, your worry isn't in which foods can stay fresh, but how you store them... If you keep them wrapped in cling film in plastic tubs in a fridge then you will just just barely have the good freshness by Wednesday.

I used to work in a cupcake store, The maximum time we allow from leaving the oven to arriving on a shop is 36 hours and the cakes are refrigerated the whole time they are being transported and waiting to leave the bakery. We would allow another 24 hours for cakes to be given out as free samples and they still tasted good so If you don't get sloppy your bake sale should be fine. Also If your looking for more foods to bake then:

Thanks! Do you think I could freeze some unfrosted cupcakes and muffins? Rice crispy cakes are a great idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmay01)
    Thanks! Do you think I could freeze some unfrosted cupcakes and muffins? Rice crispy cakes are a great idea!
    Ooh no freezing will come out in the taste when they thaw out but you should keep it cold at the coldest possible temperature, In my work it was 2 degrees. Not sure if you can change the temperature on your fridge but if you can then know that 2 degrees is the magic number for cakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Ooh no freezing will come out in the taste when they thaw out but you should keep it cold at the coldest possible temperature, In my work it was 2 degrees. Not sure if you can change the temperature on your fridge but if you can then know that 2 degrees is the magic number for cakes
    Really? Delia says you can freeze some cakes. http://www.deliaonline.com/premium-c...-biscuits.html

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I think out of the ones you listed flapjacks would probably stay fresh the longest. Although it's not very exciting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think out of the ones you listed flapjacks would probably stay fresh the longest. Although it's not very exciting
    Thanks apple and sultana flapjack is delicious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmay01)
    Thanks apple and sultana flapjack is delicious!
    They sound tasty! :drool:

Can I have the recipe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    They sound tasty! :drool:

Can I have the recipe?
    It's in my recipe book I published for charity. http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/hanna...-21552929.html

ReputationRep:
    Baked beans in the tin!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.